Ciaraaraa
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hi,

Im currently doing my coursework essay at english literature A level. (I think its Unit 5) anyway, as we've been studying so much prose/poetry etc on WW1 (for Unit 6) my teacher's decided to set the coursework around this as well; my question is comparing the ways in which Pat Barker (with regeneration) and Wilfred Owen (with his poetry) explore the theme of emasculation. I've got loads for physical emasculation - i.e Willard in Barkers novel and Disabled by Owen.. but now I want to talk about Ideological emasculation (ie degradation of men, disempowerment etc) but I cant find any of Owens poetry to reflect this explicitly.. any tips or ideas would be VERY helpful. Or any advice on the essay in general

thanks!
lulu_dudette
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i pity you I really do lol! Not much help I know but I just wanted to share my pity tee hee!!! I've done regeneration for Unit 6 as well I HATE IT!!!!!

Have you talked about that character errrrrrrr the one who has sex with sarah? Can't remember his name now??
Ywiss
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Wow, what an interesting topic you've chosen there! It's really got the makings of being a A grade essay, I should think.

It's a really good subject because it's focused on the emasculation of men, which at the same time can be expanded to, as you rightly say, the disempowerment of men. And you can make most of Owen's poetry relevant in some way! Think about "Anthem for Doomed Youth" for example - they are completely powerless to stop their own deaths - they are "doomed", and "die as cattle" - not at all in the heroic, masculine way that they would have dreamed of. What about "Dulce et Decorum Est"? There's a line in there, something like "coughing like hags" - they are not even men any more, they have been reduced to old women. Also in the same poem Owen refers to the soldiers as "children ardent for some desperate glory", which again casts a doubt over their masculinity - they are only sweet-faced, innocent "children", not even "boys". There's also "Exposure", which talks about the "twitching agonies of men among its brambles" - again, they are powerless, struggling vainly against the barbed wire. You should also take a look at "Strange Meeting" - I can't remember anything specifically but it's one of the Wilfred poems

Good luck with it, and I hope you enjoy it! It sounds as if it'll be a fantastic essay.
.Ed.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Wow that was a great idea by the teacher to link the coursework to the unit 6 work. Allthough sorry can't really help , only just satrting unit 6 now
Ciaraaraa
(Original post by Ywiss)
Wow, what an interesting topic you've chosen there! It's really got the makings of being a A grade essay, I should think.

It's a really good subject because it's focused on the emasculation of men, which at the same time can be expanded to, as you rightly say, the disempowerment of men. And you can make most of Owen's poetry relevant in some way! Think about "Anthem for Doomed Youth" for example - they are completely powerless to stop their own deaths - they are "doomed", and "die as cattle" - not at all in the heroic, masculine way that they would have dreamed of. What about "Dulce et Decorum Est"? There's a line in there, something like "coughing like hags" - they are not even men any more, they have been reduced to old women. Also in the same poem Owen refers to the soldiers as "children ardent for some desperate glory", which again casts a doubt over their masculinity - they are only sweet-faced, innocent "children", not even "boys". There's also "Exposure", which talks about the "twitching agonies of men among its brambles" - again, they are powerless, struggling vainly against the barbed wire. You should also take a look at "Strange Meeting" - I can't remember anything specifically but it's one of the Wilfred poems

Good luck with it, and I hope you enjoy it! It sounds as if it'll be a fantastic essay.

Really good advice - thankyou! I've got to hand in my first draft in the next few days so that will really help me, I've used "Dulce et Decorum Est" and "Exposure" but hadn't thought of "Anthem for Doomed Youth" or "Strange Meeting" so thanks Fingers crossed...
Ywiss
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Glad it helped! Good luck with the essay
Ciaraaraa
(Original post by Ywiss)
Glad it helped! Good luck with the essay

It definitely did - just got my results back for that coursework - I got a top A - 90/90 and on the Unit 6 exam I did in January on the wider reading within war literature i got the same - 120/120!!!

SO happy!

dangerklm
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
Billy Prior is the one with Sarah. Upon returning from war he shows a contempt for the rest of society and an almost callousness about his relationship with Sarah, someone mentioned Anthem of Doomed Youth, thats a good Owen comparison! That coursework sounds hard! I did Dicken's Great Expectations and Shelley's Frankenstein, just got an A..
Ywiss
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Wow, congratulations Ciara! Fantastic result I'm guessing you only have to get about 10% in your Shakespeare/Poetry module in the summer then...?
Ciaraaraa
Yeah i dont have to get too much of a high mark, but its Hamlet and John Clare poetry that we're doing, really hard
RosieClifford
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, I'm doing this now! Emasculation in Pat Barker's Regeneration and Wilfred Owen's Poetry. I know this post is from 12 years ago but how did you get on in the end?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (11)
29.73%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (2)
5.41%
No I am happy with my choice (22)
59.46%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (2)
5.41%

Watched Threads