Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to self-study, Any A-level Biology students or Access to Science students or even any Biology geeks want to help me with an assignment on the Endocrine system? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rasaa22)
    I'm trying to self-study, Any A-level Biology students or Access to Science students or even any Biology geeks want to help me with an assignment on the Endocrine system? Thank you
    what exactly do you need help with?

ReputationRep:
    I'm basically working on an assignment on endocrine system which I got it off my friend, as I want to start college in September to study Access to Science course, I roughly know what Endocrine system is however the assignment makes no sense to me, I was wondering if anybody could help me go through it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm basically working on an assignment on endocrine system which I got it off my friend, as I want to start college in September to study Access to Science course, I roughly know what Endocrine system is however the assignment makes no sense to me, I was wondering if anybody could help me go through it.
    Dude, it'd help if we could see what the assignment is :P can't quite help you otherwise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AortaStudyMore)
    Dude, it'd help if we could see what the assignment is :P can't quite help you otherwise
    Haha, quite right. I can't post the assignment here, can I? anyhow, this is one of the questions

Q2. Outline how the mechanism of cellular interaction differs between insulin and cortisol.

Use these hormones to outline how two classes of hormones (water soluble and lipid soluble) differ.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, quite right. I can't post the assignment here, can I? anyhow, this is one of the questions

Q2. Outline how the mechanism of cellular interaction differs between insulin and cortisol.

Use these hormones to outline how two classes of hormones (water soluble and lipid soluble) differ.
    okay, well, insulin works by binding to what is known as a tyrosine kinase receptor, which works by bringing 2 receptor subunits together and causing phosphorylation of the opposite subunit, I can't remember the exact mechanism of how this works but I can find out if you can't find it yourself (but you should be able to). Cortisol on the other hand is able to move freely into cells (as it is lipid soluble), and binds to intracellular receptors, that then release transcription factors that alter the production of producsts by the cell. I have notes somewhere on how all this works, but I'll leave you to do it if you can. The key difference between these 2 classes of hormone is the speed of action, insulin acts faster than cortisol. In terms of the hormones themselves, they have opposite function, insulin's function is to store glucose, while cortisol's function is to release glucose for use in physiological stress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AortaStudyMore)
    okay, well, insulin works by binding to what is known as a tyrosine kinase receptor, which works by bringing 2 receptor subunits together and causing phosphorylation of the opposite subunit, I can't remember the exact mechanism of how this works but I can find out if you can't find it yourself (but you should be able to). Cortisol on the other hand is able to move freely into cells (as it is lipid soluble), and binds to intracellular receptors, that then release transcription factors that alter the production of producsts by the cell. I have notes somewhere on how all this works, but I'll leave you to do it if you can. The key difference between these 2 classes of hormone is the speed of action, insulin acts faster than cortisol. In terms of the hormones themselves, they have opposite function, insulin's function is to store glucose, while cortisol's function is to release glucose for use in physiological stress.
    You are the best!!! (I actually don't understand the whole assignment)
    I have an idea of what Endocrine system is, Being a mature student and trying to get back into studies (rusty as hell)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 25, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.