Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Need advice about how to deal with adult chickenpox and school watch

Announcements

Basically last Sunday the chickenpox began to pop up on my body and face and have since gotten to the stage of scabbing over. Now I don't want to go school because obviously I don't want people to be scared even though it's no longer contagious. My issue is that I'm in Year 13 and its not long left until my final exams which I have to get AAA in and I don't know if I can afford another week off.

What do you think TSR?

Bump
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Basically last Sunday the chickenpox began to pop up on my body and face and have since gotten to the stage of scabbing over. Now I don't want to go school because obviously I don't want people to be scared even though it's no longer contagious. My issue is that I'm in Year 13 and its not long left until my final exams which I have to get AAA in and I don't know if I can afford another week off.

What do you think TSR?
    As you say, once it's scabbed over it's no longer infectious so in theory you'd be OK to go in, but it would probably be best to check with your school that they'd allow you back. Email your tutor if you have one and hopefully they'll reply, but in the mean time you could try and catch up on what you missed last week/do some revision. If you don't feel up to that then you're not well enough to go in imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Lemur14)
    As you say, once it's scabbed over it's no longer infectious so in theory you'd be OK to go in, but it would probably be best to check with your school that they'd allow you back. Email your tutor if you have one and hopefully they'll reply, but in the mean time you could try and catch up on what you missed last week/do some revision. If you don't feel up to that then you're not well enough to go in imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The scabbing is really bad and I still have a fever so going in seems like a bad idea but I just can't get over missing two weeks of school. Am I making a bigger deal out of it than it is?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    The scabbing is really bad and I still have a fever so going in seems like a bad idea but I just can't get over missing two weeks of school. Am I making a bigger deal out of it than it is?
    I would get the all clear from 111 or see the GP.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/chickenpox/

If Its clear you arent contagious and better then you should go back. I had them really bad and spent weeks off.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Just because you're not well enough now then that doesn't mean you're gonna need a whole week off. You might be much better by Wednesday or Thursday and get half the week Does sound like you shouldn't be going in yet though.
    Can't really say if you're making a bigger deal out of it than it is, but if you go back too early then you're much more likely to get I'll again and miss even more so just get better then make the effort to catch up when you are well again

ReputationRep:
    Just wait til you're recovered properly, chicken pox can be nasty when you're older. If you're worried call your college and ask if they can send you some work via email so you can catch up.

ReputationRep:
    I had chickenpox when I was in year 12 and had to take a week off, and missed the Maths Challenge that year as well haha. I think it's best not to go to school until you feel you have fully recovered, you will recover quicker if you stay at home and get plenty of sleep. But I guess year 13 is different, everyone's situations are different, don't just take me advice hahah, because I personally cannot study when I am not fully recovered...do what's the best for your grades! Good luck in your exams!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You’re not making a big deal of it! I had adult chicken pox and I felt so so ill for the whole time, it was like I had flu as well as the pox. You really should rest until you feel 100% better! I waited until the scabs had gone, especially on my face, so I took 2 weeks off
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.