Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Can someone please explain (preferably in layman's terms) why an action potential can only be propagated in one direction along an axon? I've tried looking in various text books and online but I just don't get the concept...

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    In layman’s terms...

There is a rest period (refractory period) after the release of the action potential which means the signal can’t travel back towards its origin as that area isn’t ready to conduct again. So it must travel in one direction otherwise the signal would be cut off and not propagate at all.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DhylanP - CRGS)
    Hi,

Can someone please explain (preferably in layman's terms) why an action potential can only be propagated in one direction along an axon? I've tried looking in various text books and online but I just don't get the concept...

Thanks!
    You already asked this in a different thread and 3 people answered it lol.. try and get your head around the concept of refractory period, it might even help to understand how an action potential propagates in the first place because if you don't understand that then you can't understand what the refractory period is. I'd be willing to explain it all if you give me the time

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 25, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.