Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I need a new laptop because mine is too slow and not very compact. I would like a macbook pro 15" or a macbook 13" but obviously the only barrier is the massive cost!! does anyone know any good (legit) websites for cheap macbooks? I have looked on Toby Deals and the cheapest they have is £900 or so. is there anywhere cheaper?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Why a Macbook specifically? Apple are not exactly synonymous with cheap products. They're also not the only company that sells compact and fast hardware.

Your best bet is probably to look at buying directly from Apple and getting a student discount applied. Any site selling them "cheaply" would immediately ring alarm bells. Alternatively you could risk it and buy something used but that's not something I'm personally a fan of.

AngryJellyfish or alternatives, could you put this in tech please?

ReputationRep:
    Why a macbook in particular? You can buy a beastly laptop for that sort of money.. if of course you are willing to use Windows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Why a Macbook specifically? Apple are not exactly synonymous with cheap products. They're also not the only company that sells compact and fast hardware.

Your best bet is probably to look at buying directly from Apple and getting a student discount applied. Any site selling them "cheaply" would immediately ring alarm bells. Alternatively you could risk it and buy something used but that's not something I'm personally a fan of.

AngryJellyfish or alternatives, could you put this in tech please?
    I’d like a MacBook because I can’t stand windows 10 and all other laptops have it (unless it’s second hand). Also they are really light and you have the App Store and I guess it’s just an opinion thing.
    Can you get student discount without a student discount card? I’m in year 10 and we don’t have them...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Try jigsaw 24?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by rainbowcat1437)
    I’d like a MacBook because I can’t stand windows 10 and all other laptops have it (unless it’s second hand). Also they are really light and you have the App Store and I guess it’s just an opinion thing.
    Can you get student discount without a student discount card? I’m in year 10 and we don’t have them...
    That's fair, there are plenty of good Windows alternatives to a Macbook but if you don't like Windows 10 that can't be helped.

The answer is a solid maybe, you'd have to look into it. I've never tried to purchase a Macbook so I don't know who their student discount actually covers.

Out of interest, you mentioned that £900 was too expensive and would like something cheaper. Roughly how much are we talking here? Are you paying or are your parents paying? As a general rule of thumb, a student in Year 10 doesn't need an expensive laptop and personally I'd say wait until you are in college. Stick to something budget for now
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by rainbowcat1437)
    I need a new laptop because mine is too slow and not very compact. I would like a macbook pro 15" or a macbook 13" but obviously the only barrier is the massive cost!! does anyone know any good (legit) websites for cheap macbooks? I have looked on Toby Deals and the cheapest they have is £900 or so. is there anywhere cheaper?
    Depends if you want brand new, refurbed or 2nd hand (latter 2 are both 2nd hand except 1 has been maintained the other hasnt).

If you want a 15 inch pro, you will sadly need to get a 2nd hand model as the former 2 are too expensive.

when you say 13 inch macbook, you mean macbook, air or pro. In terms of performance it is pro>air>macbook (macbook uses quite low powered processors vs air and pro).

I would say look at a refurbed pro or try getting an air with a student discount if you want a sub £900 macbook (currently 10% student discount but is usually between 8-15%).

If you want 2nd hand macs, go for https://uk.webuy.com/ , otherwise get it from apple or from a reseller like stormfront

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.