Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my name is Daniel and I will start Year 12 in September 2018. When I went to my college interview, I have been noticed about the option of picking 3 A-Levels and the EPQ, instead of 4 A-Levels. In the future I would like to do medicine at university.
    My 4 A-Levels are: Biology, Chemistry Maths and Further Maths. If I was to do 3 A-Levels, I would only do Biology, Chemistry and Maths and the EPQ.

What do you think? Which option would it be more beneficial?

ReputationRep:
    i think if you like maths a lot you should do the 4 a levels option, however, an EPQ will be more beneficial

ReputationRep:
    An extra A-Level is more valuable BUT it wouldn't do you much good if you don't get the grades you need to do medicine because you spread yourself out too thinly. My suggestion is to do the EPQ because you've probably heard that med applicants need to do a lot of work experience and all that and it'll just be easier for you to balance yourself out because your EPQ would probably be related to bio/chem.

HOWEVER, it does depend on the person. If you know for sure that you want to do medicine and that has been your life-long goal (sorry, exaggeration ), then do the 3 A-levels and EPQ but if you're still slightly unsure and you know you could switch and do... say... Chemistry instead, then the 4 A-levels might let you be a bit more flexible.

PS. I'm currently a Year 12 student (who is not doing medicine ) so I have no idea how useful my advice would be but I hope it helps
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Further Maths isn't really useful if you're planning to apply to medicine (or biosciences generally). Unless you're considering the possibility of Maths/Chemistry/Economics/Computer Science at uni instead of Medicine it's irrelevant really.

Take just the core 3, and then if you have some specific project in mind that you'd like to explore beyond the usual curriculum, take the EPQ. Both the EPQ and FM are otherwise at best a distraction from the core subjects you're doing which you need to do well (if not excel) in to meet the minimum criteria for medicine anyway if the above doesn't apply.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies guys. I'll keep that in mind.

ReputationRep:
    As well you could use the EPQ to show genuine interest in medicine - if you really find an original topic you're interested in it could put you in a higher position without the stress of an extra A level in something you dont especially need for what you want ro do

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.