Turn on thread page Beta

She literally drinks every day now. She goes out and drinks like crazy. I drink very little or almost never, I just don't like it, I can go out and not drink or just one beer and still have fun. And she drinks every day, goes out with people or even alone at home just drinks whole bottle of wine or two.

She is a great person, honest, funny, super smart and really looks out for me. Helped me a lot when I was struggling with depression. But what she is doing... I don't know what to do anymore.

She keeps going offline for 2 days or 3 days and just drinks, and then posts on instagram how drunk she was/how hungover she is, like it's an achievement but it's really pathetic for me... idk what to tell her, it's beginning to piss me of it's annoying as hell and in 4 months we're supposed to move in together but I don't think I could stand these drinking episodes.

The most annoying is how I tell her somewhere, she goes offline for 2 days, then snaps how she's with other people, then posts on insta/snap "omg so hungover" like, *****, you're 23, this is just so childish and dumb as hell. Should I tell her something or just let her ruin her liver?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Drinking 2 bottles of wine by yourself in one night is definitely a problem. I would try and bring it up, and just say you're concerned and for her to reconsider how much she drinks. If she gets angry or upset, then leave it. At least you've told her you're worried and then it's up to her if she wants to continue or not.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Too much drinking for it to be any good. Maybe a glass of wine a day is fine but a whole bottle is ridiculous. It is too expensive, bad for you and is just going to end up with bad things happening to her. (Especially if she gets too drunk at a club or something.)

(Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Drinking 2 bottles of wine by yourself in one night is definitely a problem. I would try and bring it up, and just say you're concerned and for her to reconsider how much she drinks. If she gets angry or upset, then leave it. At least you've told her you're worried and then it's up to her if she wants to continue or not.
    I forgot to mention I told her once that she has a problem with drinking, I sent her a big ass paragraph about this and she didn't get mad or anything... she completely ignored it. It's just that it's annoying me too now... I'm so done with her completely ignoring me for days and then coming back like "I am drunk sorry"... i honestly don't care, but she is my best friend AND she helped me SO MUCH in the worst times of my life so I can't really leave it...

Should I just leave her with her own problems and move on with my life? That would mean we won't move in together or just for a short time...

ReputationRep:
    I think your friend has a problem with drinking. A little drinking is okay but what you have described is excessive. I would sit her down and talk to her, you are her friend and you care for her. Do her other friends and family notice the same problem?

(Original post by monkeyman0121)
    Too much drinking for it to be any good. Maybe a glass of wine a day is fine but a whole bottle is ridiculous. It is too expensive, bad for you and is just going to end up with bad things happening to her. (Especially if she gets too drunk at a club or something.)
    The funny (I guess) thing is that in the beginning of our relationship she got me drunk, for real, with hangover and puking for two days and that was the only time in my life I ever gotten drunk, I guess I should've known back then...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I forgot to mention I told her once that she has a problem with drinking, I sent her a big ass paragraph about this and she didn't get mad or anything... she completely ignored it. It's just that it's annoying me too now... I'm so done with her completely ignoring me for days and then coming back like "I am drunk sorry"... i honestly don't care, but she is my best friend AND she helped me SO MUCH in the worst times of my life so I can't really leave it...

Should I just leave her with her own problems and move on with my life? That would mean we won't move in together or just for a short time...
    You should tell her in person so she can't ignore you. Try that and then just leave her if it doesn't work.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    your friend is an alcoholic. you cannot cure her; do not blame yourself for her problem.

(Original post by cheesecakelove)
    I think your friend has a problem with drinking. A little drinking is okay but what you have described is excessive. I would sit her down and talk to her, you are her friend and you care for her. Do her other friends and family notice the same problem?
    No, I'm her best friends others just drink with her from time to time (she has a lot of drinking buddies so I doubt they'd notice a pattern/a problem) and her family doesn't know/care I guess.

ReputationRep:
    The funny (I guess) thing is that in the beginning of our relationship she got me drunk, for real, with hangover and puking for two days and that was the only time in my life I ever gotten drunk, I guess I should've known back then...
    I am never going to get 100% drunk so that I don't have to have a really bad hangover or puking for hours. I have never even had more than a little sip of the stuff.

I hope you can help out your friend. Maybe talk to their parents but first talk to her to see if you can help her first.

ReputationRep:
    Just talk to her ask her why she is doing it and what is wrong but if you know she is likely to snap ask her subtlety. You never know she could just be depressed and dont want to tell anyone. Take care of her and help her control the drinking. If you really don't know what to do get help from the professionals. Ask some of her friends if they know why she is doing it. Tell her that you are worried about her.

(Original post by the bear)
    your friend is an alcoholic. you cannot cure her; do not blame yourself for her problem.
    yes but she was with me through my problems and I don't think I ever had a closer friend... it's hard but for a longer time I've been thinking of just letting her go once we move to the other city (it's like, we're moving away together but we can actually do it separately I guess)

(Original post by monkeyman0121)
    I am never going to get 100% drunk so that I don't have to have a really bad hangover or puking for hours. I have never even had more than a little sip of the stuff.

I hope you can help out your friend. Maybe talk to their parents but first talk to her to see if you can help her first.
    yeah haha, it was the only time and never again. i don't like the taste/how you feel after!

(Original post by TheDevil)
    Just talk to her ask her why she is doing it and what is wrong but if you know she is likely to snap ask her subtlety. You never know she could just be depressed and dont want to tell anyone. Take care of her and help her control the drinking. If you really don't know what to do get help from the professionals. Ask some of her friends if they know why she is doing it. Tell her that you are worried about her.
    I'm the only person she has and I'm sure 100% she doesn't have depression, she's been going to therapy and she's good now. She literally changed her life for better I know how she was years back she is really good now, besides the drinking... she had a very healthy lifestyle now and works out and stuff and she taught me too how to love myself and change life for better but the drinking remains, it's stopped for a couple of months (just occasionally) but it's worse now.

i might be a bit selfish about this because I really don't wanna share my life with an alcoholic when we move in together. my dad was one (too personal? i'm anon so i don't care) and really, i don't need this kind of negativity in my adult life lol.

ReputationRep:
    It is obviously tyhe sign of a good friend that you want to look out for this person like this. If you are genuinley concerned I think the best course of action would be for you to arrange to meet up at her place and calmly voice and discuss your concerns with her. I wouldnt actively confront them about it though like some of the previous posters have suggested as that could lead to the discussion becoming argumentative as they feel like you are simply criticizing their lifestyle rather than trying to be constructive

(Original post by ward47)
    It is obviously tyhe sign of a good friend that you want to look out for this person like this. If you are genuinley concerned I think the best course of action would be for you to arrange to meet up at her place and calmly voice and discuss your concerns with her. I wouldnt actively confront them about it though like some of the previous posters have suggested as that could lead to the discussion becoming argumentative as they feel like you are simply criticizing their lifestyle rather than trying to be constructive
    but what's there to be constructive about? drinking is not a lifestyle. it's a disease and i really don't want to put up with anyone with a problem anymore... so i told her and she... well she didn't say anything. i don't really know what else is to be done. i'm trying to be a good friend but i think it's an impossible situation.

ReputationRep:
    but what's there to be constructive about? drinking is not a lifestyle. it's a disease and i really don't want to put up with anyone with a problem anymore... so i told her and she... well she didn't say anything. i don't really know what else is to be done. i'm trying to be a good friend but i think it's an impossible situation.
    First of all just to be clear drinking can be a lifestyle choice it is only over drinking that is a problem as i believ that personally a person just yhas to know their limits. anyway back to you issue if you have already brought it up and she is refusing to do anything about it then im sad to say there isnt really much more than can be done its almost impossible in most cases to help someone that doesnt want to be helped.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.