The Student Room Group

Distance learning law degree

Has anyone done a distance learning law degree? I’m thinking of studying part time, and was wondering what the course load is like and do I need to be awesome at writing essays? I’m 25 and only got one full a level in English literature (c grade) so I’m a bit worried about doing a degree full stop, let alone possibly doing law
Original post by Hailster92
Has anyone done a distance learning law degree? I’m thinking of studying part time, and was wondering what the course load is like and do I need to be awesome at writing essays? I’m 25 and only got one full a level in English literature (c grade) so I’m a bit worried about doing a degree full stop, let alone possibly doing law

What are your career ambitions? Are you intending to be a solicitor? You need to have a plan and understand what it is you are taking on.

Is there any reason you want to distance learning over a uni?

From the information youve given then I would be a bit wary as well.

You need to be able to cope and cope well. I am wondering if you wouldnt be better doing A levels or an access course to improve your study skills before attempting a degree and knowing if its for you? that would give you extra time to improve and then get a good degree rather than a mediocre one.

Law is highly competitive, so its best to be able to know you can succeed rather than go in unprepared.

Law is a mix of essay questions, but mostly problem based ones where you are given a set of facts then you have to id the issues and apply the law. You can be ok, but then you will get ok marks and that will add up to an ok degree, but that might not be enough to get a job.

It is perfectly possible to do either distance or brick uni, but you need to be prepared. An access course or A levels might give you that time.
Reply 2
I don’t want to go to a brick uni because of travel mostly, but also because I would prefer to do it in my own time. I don’t want to be a solicitor or barrister, but I’m interested in some of the careers that a law degree would open up. I’m not definitely decided on law, I am looking into other degrees, just wanted some advice
Original post by Hailster92
I don’t want to go to a brick uni because of travel mostly, but also because I would prefer to do it in my own time. I don’t want to be a solicitor or barrister, but I’m interested in some of the careers that a law degree would open up. I’m not definitely decided on law, I am looking into other degrees, just wanted some advice

You might do better asking in the Open University forum, the OU is the biggest and most well known distance-learning provider, and I think there are some law students on TSR. I can't speak for law, but OU subjects in general assume no previous knowledge or essay writing skills, they build you up from the bottom.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending