Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I would like to know whether anyone has had experience with the AO route into teaching.
    I have a 2:2 degree in Education Studies and have 3 years experience of being a TA in a secondary school and almost 2 years experience in a primary school that I am currently working in full time as a level 2 TA.

I have seen people mention portfolios, but I am a little unsure as to what I would need to create this portfolio and how I go about creating it. Has anyone got any recent information on this route into teaching?

There's some information on the route here https://getintoteaching.education.go...ssessment-only but it does seem like you would need to be working as a full class teacher already- rather than as a TA to qualify for this route. I think your best option would be to contact your nearest provider, and see if they thought your were suitable.

I did the AO route. You need 2 years' full-time teaching experience in order to qualify, so I'm afraid you need to keep going for a while.

The portfolio should provide evidence that you meet each of the Teachers' Standards. It must also include evidence that you have been observed a certain number of times (think it is 6) by someone with QTS, which is why it's a good idea to have a mentor in your school who already has QTS. Your mentor and you need to write reports on each lesson observed as well as supplying the relevant lesson plans. You also need to complete the literacy and numeracy tests.

I found the agency Educators Abroad very helpful in my AO journey to QTS, so suggest that you consult them also.
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.