Listening to music when studying, yes or no? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Makes me concentrate easier
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickipennington)
    For me, yes, but lyrical with maths, everything else non-lyrical/instrumental.

ReputationRep:
    No it distracts me so much

ReputationRep:
    watch revision with eves latest video

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehru1214)
    For me, yes, but lyrical with maths, everything else non-lyrical/instrumental.
    Yes totally agree.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by aaminah03)
    No it distracts me so much
    I was the same.
    If it was songs i liked then i used to get distracted from revision and just sing along.
    If it was songs i didnt like then it just used to irritate me while i was trying to revise.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    yeah, lyrical musics while making notes and flashcards
    electronic/lo-fi/piano music with no lyrics when revising

ReputationRep:
    I usually listen to certain albums/playlists when revising certain subjects and when I do that exam, I listen to the same album/playlist before I sit the exam so it's playing in my head and helps me to remember what I studied. It's kind of like when you chew the same flavour gum in an exam as you were when revising, it supposedly helps you regurgitate the knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    I was the same.
    If it was songs i liked then i used to get distracted from revision and just sing along.
    If it was songs i didnt like then it just used to irritate me while i was trying to revise.
    Exactly

ReputationRep:
    I'm literally doing it right now ahaha
    It can be very distracting but I honestly can't revise properly without my favourite music, it feels weird to be in silence if I'm at home revising

ReputationRep:
    watch eve bennett's video on it
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I preferred revising to songs that had a really strong beat, or really strong drums. Something about the fast-paced, loud nature of it made me work harder and concentrate more. One good example of this was Emma by Hot Chocolate. I played that on repeat for hours one day.

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    Listening to songs that I like gives me motivation to study lol
    I like to listen to The Fall by Gorillaz, cos it's pretty chill and doesn't have many lyrical songs

ReputationRep:
    It got mentioned before but here's a useful video on it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkTpC5UFJSQ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickipennington)
    it's different to me, it distracts me.

ReputationRep:
    I always have music on when I'm working, but if I really need to concentrate I have music without lyrics like film scores

ReputationRep:
    I can listen to any music when doing maths so i usually listen to my favourite songs or what I’m in the mood for but anything else has to be classical/jazz with no lyrics, probably because my other subjects are politics and economics which are heavy in reading and writing so lyrics are a huge distraction but classical can be really stimulating, sometimes I listen to Radiohead while studying but only if I don’t need to think too hard. I love listening to Jazz when I’m writing an essay, it just gets me going and stimulates my thoughts

I have a pre study routine where i listen to loads of rock and powerful songs just to get my energy and motivation levels high… it usually works out well if I dont get distracted and end up just listening to music for hours lol
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    yeah if its something i don't have to completely concentrate on (i'll do it with written work, but not revision)

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.