Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've recently gone through a lot during my second year, i attended my placement for a few months before i went through a real rough patch with my mental health. I stopped going in, i informed some of my tutors and requested an extension. Since then, which was December, i have not gone back into placement i am having major anxiety and really am not enjoying my time in university as it's putting a lot of pressure onto me. I don't want to drop out as I've almost finished the second year, it'd be such a waste however i am 100% sure i have failed this placement module and i'm not sure what the procedure will be for me. Has anybody else failed a placement module, what happens after that?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by kaliixo)
    I've recently gone through a lot during my second year, i attended my placement for a few months before i went through a real rough patch with my mental health. I stopped going in, i informed some of my tutors and requested an extension. Since then, which was December, i have not gone back into placement i am having major anxiety and really am not enjoying my time in university as it's putting a lot of pressure onto me. I don't want to drop out as I've almost finished the second year, it'd be such a waste however i am 100% sure i have failed this placement module and i'm not sure what the procedure will be for me. Has anybody else failed a placement module, what happens after that?
    Your communication with the uni doesnt seem good.

The way you are handling your own welfare doesnt seem good either.

Are the mental health issues coming from being on a uni course r you are suggesting it is the uni and department at Hallam?

If I was in your situation I would start getting help and evidence for the mental health issues. GP, student support services. is this nursing? Ideally you should be working with your department.

If placements are part of your course, then you need to look at the rules (normally online), but available from the department. I suspect you will not be allowed to progress into year 12 without completing the placement. Unknown whether you can do that in the Summer. Its similar to failing any module. It must be incomplete because you havent attended.
    Once you get your mental health treatment started, then you can take advice from your tutor and also student services in the SU.

You can try an extenuating circumstances claim, but it cant disguise the fact you havent completed the placement.

Mental heath issues can ruin a degree, so it might not be all bad if you have to redo and take a gap year. You really need to start talking to people and et your MH and then your course communication sorted out.

You could do that in a semi gap/ resit year. they may let you proceed, but its their discretion and youd need to check the rules. I wouldnt bank on it.

PS the Hallam reps on here are always helpful and try and find things out for you if they can.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by kaliixo)
    Hey,

I'm really sorry to hear that you've been going through a tough time. You aren't alone in this.

I do agree with tigger999 though, things could definitely improve if you had better communication with your course or faculty! A friend of mine couldn't complete her placement due to mental health issues and got referred to a type of online workplace observation which was an alternative module for her.

You definitely don't have to drop out at this point, but you will have to do something to make up for the fact that you've missed this module. I don't know what your options will be, but your faculty advisor or academic advisor will.

Have you received any help with your mental health? My advice would be as follows: go to a doctor, tell them about your mental health, ask for a note of proof for your university. Go to Student Support (Owen building level 5 or HoC I think), and apply for a learning contract (this took me about 10 minutes, it's really easy with your note, and allows you all sorts of support throughout all your course). I would also then go to your faculty helpdesk/advisor, who I'm sure you can find out about online, and ask them what to do since you've not been to placement. This might be a summer resit, a different module, or resitting the year, but they will give you all your options and you'll have a clearer idea of what you can do. Going to the doctor and telling university about what's really going on is indescribably important for things like this, it will take so much pressure off your shoulders and hopefully means you'll be able to get more help with your mental health as well as your academic work.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions or any more worries.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon,

Ellie

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 3, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.