Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have been granted permission to use a laptop during my GCSE English mock (as my handwriting is kinda bad) this week but i'm a little bit nervous, not because it's an exam, but because I have no idea what's it going to be like with a computer. I have been told to go to a computer room to do my exam but can someone please tell me what it is like. And is there any advice you can give me? Considering I can write faster than I type. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    The exam is tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    You will just get basic word processing facilities with no spell check. It does have the advantage that you can do back and add bits in and rearrangethings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    You will just get basic word processing facilities with no spell check. It does have the advantage that you can do back and add bits in and rearrangethings.
    Do I have to type out any questions at all or is it just typing? Do I have to print it off at the end?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    U’ll be fine it will be much easier than having to write the equivalent by hand
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luckystars500)
    Do I have to type out any questions at all or is it just typing? Do I have to print it off at the end?
    You don't have to type any questions just your details (name, candidate no, etc) and your answers. For the real GCSE you also have to complete the details on the front of an answer booklet even if you don't use it. If you want to answer partly in the answer book but type the longer answers then that's fine.

At the end the script is printed off and you have to sign each page to check its all there and then its sent off to the exam board with a covering form.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it will be worth doing more exams on a laptop? At the moment I have been signed down to just do English and French. I'm on the edge with geography but I decide no since I like to draw to help me understand the question. Is it really worth it?

ReputationRep:
    And is there any advice you can give me? Considering I can write faster than I type.
    For the exam that you are talking about (tomorrow), I only have one piece of real advice as you haven't got much time to prepare or practice using a computer under timed conditions. I would recommend planning your story and essay thoroughly, making sure that you know what you are writing about before you begin writing. This is because you will waste more time by deleting and retyping and deleting again points that you have not planned. If you plan at the start and then write, you will save time and write a more coherent response.

For more important exams that you will be using your computer for (such as the real GCSEs), I would strongly recommend learning to touch type under timed conditions. You could download an application on your computer (search on Google for these) which can help you touch type, or just practice writing essays and doing homework for your subjects on your computer in a certain amount of time. You will become more familiar with the keyboard and your typing speed will increase. I type 100wpm, and I achieved this by practice. My ICT teacher in primary school used to make us place a shirt on our fingers and keyboard and type out a paragraph that was on our computer. Over time, our knowledge of the keyboard improved and we typed at a faster pace. Even using The Student Room and other websites will allow you to improve your knowledge of the keyboard, so long as you type and try to memorize the keyboard when you do.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it will be worth doing more exams on a laptop? At the moment I have been signed down to just do English and French.
    French is an unusual one to pick. Make sure you get a list of the ALT codes to use for letters with accents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    French is an unusual one to pick. Make sure you get a list of the ALT codes to use for letters with accents.
    My teacher said that they will teach me. My French seems to have worse handwriting out of all the other subjects so my teachers agreed to doing that one. Afterall, French is the most important for correct spelling and if it doesn't look right i won't get the marks.

ReputationRep:
    Really easier. It's faster to type, and you can easily correct your mistakes, without having to cross stuff out.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.