Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do I have a chance in performing arts or should i study lit? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Okay, so I'm having trouble making my mind up about what I want to study at uni. Personally, I'd love to take a music degree, majoring in vocal studies, or a performing arts degree (without dance because I have no dance experience). However, i also enjoy english literature and creative writing, which is the more 'secure' route to go down and what my parents want me to go with. But I also feel I'll be happier taking music as it's the only thing i love unconditionally.

I've also been advised by my maths teacher not to take english as lots and lots of people take english and for the degree to be truly worth it, you have to be on the top of your game, which I don't really think I am. I think to even have performing arts will fully boost my self confidence. My parents also think that if I take a degree in performing arts but end up in a job not in that industry then what was the point of taking the degree?

But, I'm also not sure if my music experience is enough to take it at a degree level. I've got an Initial grade in Guitar from when I was 12, I'm currently working towards my Grade 8 Singing exam in the summer and I am self teaching myself and thinking about taking a grade in Music Theory after my singing exam. I don't know if my singing is to degree standards either.

Do I take my parents' advice and stick with english or do i take a risk with music/performing arts? Should I apply to different unis with english then to another with music? Should I do the auditions then fall back on english if it doesn't work out?

ANY advice would seriously be appreciated, thanks!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 25, 2018
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.