GCSE Choices

Watch this thread
hanna2004
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi I’m in Year 9 and I’m about to choose my GCSE options. When I’m older I want to become a psychologist but my school doesn’t do that until A Level so I don’t know if I should choose philosophy or geography (I prefer geography) help? These are my current choices-

Triple Science
French
Health and Social Care
Philosophy/Geography

Please help me choose which one
Kirby...
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Do simple subjects or the ones that you enjoy. It's not worth it to stress yourself at GCSEs. With philosophy and geography I would suggest you pick geography as it is worth more at A level. Trust me it's best to pick the subjects that will help you to achieve your dream career at A level. And triple science is a good choice as well.
hanna2004
Rep:
Thank you I will consider your advice
Nadia116
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Deffo do geography if you like it more because you’ll be able to do psychology alevel whichever one you do
hanna2004
Rep:
I would just like to add if philosophy would help me become a psychologist? Since they are similar subjects
bluebells1
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Honestly I would say neither help in the long run to be a psychologist. Philosophy is hard and stressful - my class all got E-B grades and geography is learning case study after case study that can be hard too, although manageable.

The skills you learn A Level and beyond are far more useful than GCSES anyway. Teachers make out the importance of them but 5 years from now you won't even remember what you learnt at gcse - the content only matters for the exam.

You learn all the psychology skills doing psychology at uni as that is the proper subject.
In your situation I would say take Geography because there are more revision resources for it. But in my honest opinion your GCSE choices don't impact future careers at all

Hope I've helped - I'm in A levels btw and my brothers have both said how all their careers properly started at uni with tje skills they learnt
hanna2004
Rep:
(Original post by bluebells1)
Honestly I would say neither help in the long run to be a psychologist. Philosophy is hard and stressful - my class all got E-B grades and geography is learning case study after case study that can be hard too, although manageable.

The skills you learn A Level and beyond are far more useful than GCSES anyway. Teachers make out the importance of them but 5 years from now you won't even remember what you learnt at gcse - the content only matters for the exam.

You learn all the psychology skills doing psychology at uni as that is the proper subject.
In your situation I would say take Geography because there are more revision resources for it. But in my honest opinion your GCSE choices don't impact future careers at all

Hope I've helped - I'm in A levels btw and my brothers have both said how all their careers properly started at uni with tje skills they learnt
Yes thank you , you have helped xxx
jxnna01
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I love the idea of becoming a psychologist.. in my opinion, you should take geography. Geography, though, in my school everyone wants to take it! Geography isn't too hard ! Philosophy isn't hard either like the context however you will need to provide your own ideas and debates, and a lot of evaluations. This includes things like Is there life after death? There is no books about if this is real or not, and the exam will be fully on your own opinion and debating skills.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (3)
37.5%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (5)
62.5%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (0)
0%

Watched Threads