Turn on thread page Beta

Is it weird to choose a degree subject only because you find it fascinating? watch

ReputationRep:
    some careers you need passion too.
    to be a great teacher you need a passion for the subject, or for your student to succeed.
    nobody goes into medicine (any branch, especially nursing) for the wages.

I think it's all about balance. life is a balance anyway and being able to do something you love and be paid for it is a great motivator.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I wish I did to be honest.

Better to get a good grade in a subject you enjoyed learning that may not have the best career prospects than hate your life and studies and fail or drop out of a subject your parents pushed you into taking for 'the sake of your future'.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by stellaluna24)
    I think we don't realise how useful actually are those 'useless' degrees. Think about it: an English major can become a teacher, and this teacher can teach your kids how to read and write. Is knowing how to read and write useless? A sociology major can produce statistics on crimes committed in a certain neighbourhood. Is knowing which part of a city is safest, useless? We are made to think that certain degrees are useless because there are fewer jobs offered in those areas. I don't think jobs are offered according to the actual needs of society, they are offered according to what sells more. People are more interested in getting a new iPhone than in getting a better education for their children. Ergo, it is more profitable to hire an engineer than a teacher. Of course, both engineers and teachers are needed, and their demand should be balanced.

I get that young people are scared of not finding a job if they pursue a 'useless' degree, but I think it's important to remember that not everyone can be a doctor or a lawyer. For example, a friend of mine once went to a doctor who had to google her symptoms: that should explain what I mean. There are jobs you can't pursue just for the salary prospects. To be a doctor, a lawyer or an engineer, one needs to have extreme passion, as for the vast majority of jobs in the world.
    I totally see where this is coming from! Also, if we encourage young people to pursue what they enjoy and find interesting, we could expect that they will give more to a job that satisfies them than a job that they have been pressured into doing just to feel 'useful'.

I'm in my final year of a Languages degree at Sheffield Hallam and I came here because I loved Spanish and the course allowed me to immerse myself in what I loved! At school I was good at maths and sports but I can honestly say I'd be so poorly motivated if I followed those paths :afraid:

I'd say it's not at all 'weird' to want to do something because you love it! GO FOR IT! :woo:

Ben

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.