Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have to reply to my UCAS decisions and can't choose ;-;
    Which uni is the best, or how would you rank them, on their general engineering outlook for employers?
    - University of Nottingham
    - University of Sheffield
    - University of Aberdeen
    - Coventry University
    - University of Leeds
    (My order of listing is random and has no attached preference/opinion)....
    I guess that Nottingham, Sheffield and Leeds are better because they are Russell groups, but Aberdeen is offering me a scholarship (which is AMAZING since I am an international student ;-; )..
    Pls halp xD thanks...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by kokola9000)
    Which uni is the best, or how would you rank them, on their general engineering outlook for employers?
    - University of Nottingham
    - University of Sheffield
    - University of Aberdeen
    - Coventry University
    - University of Leeds
    (My order of listing is random and has no attached preference/opinion)....
    I guess that Nottingham, Sheffield and Leeds are better because they are Russell groups, but Aberdeen is offering me a scholarship (which is AMAZING since I am an international student ;-; )..
    Pls halp xD thanks...
    It really depends on the employer in question - although most don't care about rankings or league tables or the Russell Group. In the oil & gas scene in Aberdeen then Aberdeen University is obviously quite heavily targeted. I'd imagine it's similar for the other universities on your list with their respective engineering scenes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    It really depends on the employer in question - although most don't care about rankings or league tables or the Russell Group. In the oil & gas scene in Aberdeen then Aberdeen University is obviously quite heavily targeted. I'd imagine it's similar for the other universities on your list with their respective engineering scenes.
    Yeah I was also feeling Aberdeen - there's also a lot of occupation shortages in that industry so more likely I'll get a work sponsor...

Thanks!!!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yeah I was also feeling Aberdeen - there's also a lot of occupation shortages in that industry so more likely I'll get a work sponsor...

Thanks!!!
    The oil industry has actually went through a fairly major downturn recently and hence jobs aren't as plentiful as they once were. Is your scholarship offer from the university or from a company?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    You have until May to decide.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    The oil industry has actually went through a fairly major downturn recently and hence jobs aren't as plentiful as they once were. Is your scholarship offer from the university or from a company?
    Oh sad
    My scholarship is from the University of Aberdeen, so I won't have to pay for a year because of my grades.... But also they don't offer a year in industry like all my other choices so I don't know if this is the one....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    You have until May to decide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    True - but I also need to figure out accommodations and need to inform my school by march or they'll charge extra to send my final scores to my unis ;-;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Has it actually gone downhill? That’s a shame because it’s really popular.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    True - but I also need to figure out accommodations and need to inform my school by march or they'll charge extra to send my final scores to my unis ;-;
    ?

Your school can send the scores to all your universities as and when it's necessary. They don't have to wait until results day in August (which is when universities get most scores automatically anyway, including IB).

ReputationRep:
    ?
    Your school can send the scores to all your universities as and when it's necessary. They don't have to wait until results day in August (which is when universities get most scores automatically anyway, including IB).
    I'm doing the IB, so there's a different system using some strange server (because IB loves using dumb servers for everything -_-), and if I don't tell them by April we'll have to pay extra money to get it sent :/
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I'm doing the IB, so there's a different system using some strange server (because IB loves using dumb servers for everything -_-), and if I don't tell them by April we'll have to pay extra money to get it sent :/
    IB Results are automatically sent in July.

http://www.ibo.org/programmes/diplom...g-transcripts/
    "Before results are released, students can request to have results sent to six universities. This service is free of charge."

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...g-exam-results

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/res...ib-results-day

ReputationRep:
    IB Results are automatically sent in July.

http://www.ibo.org/programmes/diplom...g-transcripts/
    "Before results are released, students can request to have results sent to six universities. This service is free of charge."

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...g-exam-results

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/res...ib-results-day
    It's free if you get the uni names in on time lol
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    It's free if you get the uni names in on time lol
    You have 6 free slots, and 5 universities to name.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Oh sad
    My scholarship is from the University of Aberdeen, so I won't have to pay for a year because of my grades.... But also they don't offer a year in industry like all my other choices so I don't know if this is the one....
    The scholarship sounds nice - but also consider that Scottish degrees are a year longer than their English counterparts, so if the offer is that you get one year free, it might still amount to roughly the same as your other choices.

Scottish universities don't tend to offer a year in industry. I'm not exactly sure why, but I suspect it might be related to Scottish degrees being a year longer as it is. An integrated masters with a year in industry in Scotland could take 6 years...

(Original post by Black Water)
    Has it actually gone downhill? That’s a shame because it’s really popular.
    Yes (although things have improved a bit since the worst of the downturn), although it still is certainly possible to study at Aberdeen university and get jobs elsewhere in other industries.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.