Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm wondering whether a larger number of GCSE with the same number of A*s looks better or worse. I'm looking at Oxford PPE as a very hopeful first choice. I only took ten GCSEs, and received 8 A*s and 2A s. Now, I'm often hearing about people who took, say, 12 or 13 GCSEs and wondered if these are a help or a hindrance, purely in terms of results. Would Oxford be more or less impressed with 8 A*s and 2 As as opposed to, say 8 A*s and 5 As? You could say that the larger number of exams shows a more impressive array of skills and harder work, but there's also a far lower PROPORTION of grades at A*. What do you guys think?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Leon_Baratheon)
    So, I'm wondering whether a larger number of GCSE with the same number of A*s looks better or worse. I'm looking at Oxford PPE as a very hopeful first choice. I only took ten GCSEs, and received 8 A*s and 2A s. Now, I'm often hearing about people who took, say, 12 or 13 GCSEs and wondered if these are a help or a hindrance, purely in terms of results. Would Oxford be more or less impressed with 8 A*s and 2 As as opposed to, say 8 A*s and 5 As? You could say that the larger number of exams shows a more impressive array of skills and harder work, but there's also a far lower PROPORTION of grades at A*. What do you guys think?
    I wouldnt be overly concerned. they have a tougher policy than Cambridge, but by the time you get to that level, then things like PS, interview, extra currics, entrance exam and reference come into play.

Doonesbury will have a better idea. You also cnat change it. Just put the best app in you can.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...rements?wssl=1
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I wouldnt be overly concerned. they have a tougher policy than Cambridge, but by the time you get to that level, then things like PS, interview, extra currics, entrance exam and reference come into play.

Doonesbury will have a better idea. You also cnat change it. Just put the best app in you can.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...rements?wssl=1
    Thanks for the tag

Yes it is what it is. If you fancy studying PPE at Oxford then apply. The guaranteed way to not get an offer is to not apply...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry too much about GCSE's at this point. At the start of the year, I was run that mindset that my GCSE's would ruin my chances of going to a good university. Remember that the process isn't just your GCSE grades. You have the personal statement, your predicted A-Level grades, your teacher's reference, the admissions test and the interview. Don't be discouraged. You have got strong GCSE grades. Some people will have taken more, but there will be people who have taken less. As the above poster said, you can't change your GCSE's now, but you can focus on doing well in your A-Levels and producing a strong application

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 25, 2018

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.