Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Studying abroad (Hungary) and Depression watch

So I've been thinking to go to Hungary to study dentistry (its the cheapest option for me as im an international student) but I'm worried I may not be able to adapt. My mental health is not 100% and as stupid as it sounds, I'm afraid being alone in a dark,cold city with a different lifestyle would trigger a deterioration as I'm someone who's greatly influenced by their surroundings (lived my entire life in a tropical country)

I'm scared that if I do end up in Hungary, I will get depressed and then end up hating the course and wanting to go back.

My other choice is to travel to another country (Australia) which would (theoretically) be much better for my mental health as I would have people I know around me, but I will not be able to pursue dentistry and I feel like I might be ruining my future.

Am I just worrying for nothing, or are my fears justified?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I've been thinking to go to Hungary to study dentistry (its the cheapest option for me as im an international student) but I'm worried I may not be able to adapt. My mental health is not 100% and as stupid as it sounds, I'm afraid being alone in a dark,cold city with a different lifestyle would trigger a deterioration as I'm someone who's greatly influenced by their surroundings (lived my entire life in a tropical country)

I'm scared that if I do end up in Hungary, I will get depressed and then end up hating the course and wanting to go back.

My other choice is to travel to another country (Australia) which would (theoretically) be much better for my mental health as I would have people I know around me, but I will not be able to pursue dentistry and I feel like I might be ruining my future.

Am I just worrying for nothing, or are my fears justified?
    It's quite a difficult decision but it's ultimately up to you. Are your worries about going to Hungary rational? What makes you think you won't enjoy the atmosphere? I would make sure to research Hungary first, like locations, the atmosphere, things to do etc. Ask around and find out if anyone you know has been. If you still don't think Hungary is for you, i wouldn't recommend it. University is much easier if you enjoy where you are and what you are doing. With this decision, it is also important to think about your priorities are. Do you care more about wanting to study dentistry, or wanting to enjoy university life and the atmosphere? For example, would you be able to study a subject similar to dentistry somewhere other than Hungary that you would like also? Is there a subject you would be just as happy studying, or are you completely settled on dentistry? It's all about researching your options, and deciding what means the most to you and your priorities.

I would also research university health care facilities too, because i'm sure that services vary depending on the university you attend. Find out if universities have a counselling service, or advice on their website about mental health. Clearly, your mental health is important to you and so i would go to a university which has some services in place for that.

I understand how you feel because i have had to decide between two universities - one close to home where i could save money but i don't like the course quite as much, or one in a big city where the course is better but would be more expensive. After trying to come to a decision myself, i have realised that i care most about studying a subject i enjoy and also growing as a person in a thriving atmosphere. Therefore, i will most likely attend the city university. I am naturally a worrier but there is no reason for me to be concerned about money at the city university, and i think the main reason i was considering the university close to home was to save money.

I hope my advice has helped you! Please let me know what you have decided

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.