Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The PS4 watch

Announcements

I really want a ps4, but im in my adolescents and i cant afford it, its £230-£250 where i am (in London) I dont have a job or anything, im in secondary school and i just dont know what to do, all my friends have it, when they have conversations about which new games they have, it makes me want to cry. I then gave up on it and wanted a gaming pc to play with youtubers on certain games, but that was even more expensive. I couldn't get the thought of a ps4 out of my head, it was something i needed to have. I've wanted it for 4 years now, and my mum still wont help me out, please help me, someone?

ReputationRep:
    You could get a job but that's not going to guarantee you a high salary especially if you're in your early teens. You could try to do random odd jobs or something. For example in the summer when it gets really hot, you and a friend could go to like Hyde Park with squash and ice cubes and sell some cold drinks in like plastic cups. Just think of random ways to make money. Be careful though when doing odd jobs for people because there are some dangerous people out there so always make sure your parents know where you are and that you have a friend with you.

ReputationRep:
    One way of persuading your parents to ask them whether they would help you fund a proportion of the expenses if you do well in an upcoming exam/test. I myself have been saving up for a gaming pc for years (literally) and now that I have about half the money, I've persuaded them to pay half the cost as long as I get straight sevens in my mid-GCSE mock exams. Maybe utilising this tactic would help you get that ps4 you long for.

ReputationRep:
    You're a kid, what you have is down to your parents, nothing you can do until you become an independent adult.

There's a reason for that, generally this is a good thing, it stops kids making rash, naive and/or dumb decisions, particularly with money. As evidenced by you wanting a PS4 so bad, maybe just because other kids had one.

Then you watched YouTube vids, and suddenly now you don't want a PS4, you want a PC, and only because you wanna play "certain games" (the ones you've seen played) to feel as cool and popular as them. Not only that, but in the belief you'll somehow get to play with these YouTubers.

You can't have everything as a kid, just have to wait it out, or hope to get a *****y retail job.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm shocked at how unreasonable your parents are being and how unfair you're being treated. Talk to your parents - do they have any real reasons for not buying you a PS4? Perhaps they're worried about how video games might influence you, make you unsociable, distract you from your studies - these are common concerns for a parent. If that's the case, tell them that you're going to be self-disciplined and will control the amount of time you spend playing (which you should).

They really should let you play it whilst you're in secondary school and have the time to play. Maybe wait for your birthday or Christmas. I mean, 4 years. Wow. They could have spread it over your birthday presents over these years.

(Original post by ozzyoscy)
    it stops kids making rash, naive and/or dumb decisions, particularly with money. As evidenced by you wanting a PS4 so bad, maybe just because other kids had one.

Then you watched YouTube vids, and suddenly now you don't want a PS4, you want a PC, and only because you wanna play "certain games" (the ones you've seen played) to feel as cool and popular as them. Not only that, but in the belief you'll somehow get to play with these YouTubers.

You can't have everything as a kid, just have to wait it out, or hope to get a *****y retail job.
    Ridiculous. These reasons sound perfectly valid to me. In fact many kids start wanting a Playstation or Xbox after seeing their peers play or watching YouTubers. Envy might not be the best reason, but these kids actually end up really enjoying the games - and they wouldn't have experienced this enjoyment had others not convinced them to buy it first.

If this is the way you were treated as a kid by your parents then I feel sorry for you.

ReputationRep:
    For £230 - 250 I assume you are looking at new PS4s? Why don't you look for a pre-owned ps4?

I know CEX and GAME sell them for around £180. I know that's still a lot but you won't find anyone giving them away lol, and it's better than £230-250. You could start saving and maybe your parents would chip in if you do well in school etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mystelle)
    Ridiculous. These reasons sound perfectly valid to me. In fact many kids start wanting a Playstation or Xbox after seeing their peers play or watching YouTubers. Envy might not be the best reason, but these kids actually end up really enjoying the games - and they wouldn't have experienced this enjoyment had others not convinced them to buy it first.

If this is the way you were treated as a kid by your parents then I feel sorry for you.
    Lemme guess, you're not even out of school/college yet. You completely give that away.

You're going on about how great games are (check which forum you're on, I'm aware of this). That's not the subject.

And your reply to this person is nonsense. You're "shocked" at how "unfair you're being treated" like he's being abused and going to turn sociopathic because his mum won't buy him something. And then you say you feel sorry for kids whose parents don't buy them everything they want as a kid? WTF is that? ****ing hell. How spoilt are/were you?

I can tell you're the type whose going to choose your degree on what money you'd potentially earn from it, while not really knowing a thing about college or uni. But I guess that's why you're here, eh? Don't let that stop you calling other people ridiculous when they give a view that doesn't fit with your inexperienced and naive one, though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Lemme guess, you're not even out of school/college yet. You completely give that away.

You're going on about how great games are (check which forum you're on, I'm aware of this). That's not the subject.

And your reply to this person is nonsense. You're "shocked" at how "unfair you're being treated" like he's being abused and going to turn sociopathic because his mum won't buy him something. And then you say you feel sorry for kids whose parents don't buy them everything they want as a kid? WTF is that? ****ing hell. How spoilt are/were you?

I can tell you're the type whose going to choose your degree on what money you'd potentially earn from it, while not really knowing a thing about college or uni. But I guess that's why you're here, eh? Don't let that stop you calling other people ridiculous when they give a view that doesn't fit with your inexperienced and naive one, though.
    You've guessed correctly - I'm in my 2nd year of sixth form. So what's this got to do with anything?

"you say you feel sorry for kids whose parents don't buy them everything they want as a kid?" No, that's not what I said at all. The OP has been asking for a PS4, something that costs just over £200, for four years and is STILL being refused, without given any justifiable reason - you think that's okay? Don't be bitter to the OP just because your parents treated you like this as a child lol.

"I can tell you're the type whose going to choose your degree on what money you'd potentially earn from it, while not really knowing a thing about college or uni."

This really made me laugh. I've firmed a course at the university I've been wanting to go for a long time based on the content of the course and the opportunities that it will bring me. Employment prospects and graduate salary are indeed factors that I had considered when applying - what fool wouldn't? I'd of course choose to graduate in a degree where I can financially support my family, so later on I'll be able to buy my kids what they really want for their birthday or special occasions. If you think this is called 'spoiling' them then god knows what kind of a parent you'll be.

ReputationRep:
    Gaming is a waste of time.. but it is fun
    It's not the end of the world that you don't have a PS4. Use that time to develop yourself reads books, and entertain yourself in other ways. Once you have a job you'll be able to afford one. They are getting cheap as dirt now they have been out for years you'll be able to find something under 200 easily.

ReputationRep:

lol. just stop.

ReputationRep:
    You've guessed correctly - I'm in my 2nd year of sixth form. So what's this got to do with anything?

"you say you feel sorry for kids whose parents don't buy them everything they want as a kid?" No, that's not what I said at all. The OP has been asking for a PS4, something that costs just over £200, for four years and is STILL being refused, without given any justifiable reason - you think that's okay? Don't be bitter to the OP just because your parents treated you like this as a child lol.

"I can tell you're the type whose going to choose your degree on what money you'd potentially earn from it, while not really knowing a thing about college or uni."

This really made me laugh. I've firmed a course at the university I've been wanting to go for a long time based on the content of the course and the opportunities that it will bring me. Employment prospects and graduate salary are indeed factors that I had considered when applying - what fool wouldn't? I'd of course choose to graduate in a degree where I can financially support my family, so later on I'll be able to buy my kids what they really want for their birthday or special occasions. If you think this is called 'spoiling' them then god knows what kind of a parent you'll be.
    Yes I think it's ok for parents to spend money on their children however they see fit, and here you are having the audacity to say it's not ok for them to not spend over £200 on something.

What has your age got to do with anything? Your point of view. You're a kid telling another kid that their demands should be met just because, which is the logic of a child. That I was able to deduce your age just from your one reply would suggest your comments were childish. If/When you're an adult parent, you'll laugh at and cut down any 17 or 18 year trying to tell you how to raise your child as I'm doing to you on behalf of this kid's parents.

You're jumping to conclusions that this is some starved kid who has no entertainment, and that anyone who disagrees with you is either a terrible parent or has terrible parents. Now see the preceding paragraph.

And to make sure I'm not making any mistakes and passing harsh judgement, I just clicked your profile. And what do you know? It's dozens or hundreds of questions over the course of a year asking every little thing and trying to find out how much each degree can get you in wages. Despicable. God knows what kind of a student and adult you'll be. But let's hope you don't have kids before you mature, because as we can see you're spoilt, think little of money or other people, and are completely clueless about the world outside the 4 walls of education (inside which you're only mostly clueless about evidently).

And don't think about playing victim either and moaning about my tone, as this is all in reply to you and your disrespectful approach to others. Insult people and their families, get the same in return. Only difference is mine is based on facts.

(Original post by tianshan)
    lol. just stop.
    One shouldn't start what they can't finish. This could've been a mature and amicable discussion about parenting and financial situations. But someone wades in being disrespectful, they're not going to get any niceities from me.

And why would I stop when I was proved completely right?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yes I think it's ok for parents to spend money on their children however they see fit, and here you are having the audacity to say it's not ok for them to not spend over £200 on something.

What has your age got to do with anything? Your point of view. You're a kid telling another kid that their demands should be met just because, which is the logic of a child. That I was able to deduce your age just from your one reply would suggest your comments were childish. If/When you're an adult parent, you'll laugh at and cut down any 17 or 18 year trying to tell you how to raise your child as I'm doing to you on behalf of this kid's parents.

You're jumping to conclusions that this is some starved kid who has no entertainment, and that anyone who disagrees with you is either a terrible parent or has terrible parents. Now see the preceding paragraph.

And to make sure I'm not making any mistakes and passing harsh judgement, I just clicked your profile. And what do you know? It's dozens or hundreds of questions over the course of a year asking every little thing and trying to find out how much each degree can get you in wages. Despicable. God knows what kind of a student and adult you'll be. But let's hope you don't have kids before you mature, because as we can see you're spoilt, think little of money or other people, and are completely clueless about the world outside the 4 walls of education (inside which you're only mostly clueless about evidently).

And don't think about playing victim either and moaning about my tone, as this is all in reply to you and your disrespectful approach to others. Insult people and their families, get the same in return. Only difference is mine is based on facts.

One shouldn't start what they can't finish. This could've been a mature and amicable discussion about parenting and financial situations. But someone wades in being disrespectful, they're not going to get any niceities from me.

"asking every little thing and trying to find out how much each degree can get you in wages" k find me every single one of them otherwise you'd prove to yourself that everything you're saying is groundless

"Only difference is mine is based on facts."
    facts? lmao r u serious. facts. where are your evidence hon :rofl2:

"why would I stop when I was proved completely right?"
    um what? xD so your absurd opinions "prove" yourself right? you need help.

honestly, though, i'm going to get on with my life now because i have more important things to do than argue pointlessly with a deluded fool who thinks his opinions are "facts". But now I come to think of it, you are entitled to having your own opinions after all, regardless of how absurd they are. I hope you too have more important things to do than to vent on TSR. I'm sorry about your bitter childhood which created this resentment in you.

ReputationRep:
    "asking every little thing and trying to find out how much each degree can get you in wages" k find me every single one of them otherwise you'd prove to yourself that everything you're saying is groundless

100% agreed. Never waste your time arguing with stupid people who think their opinions are facts.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by tianshan)
    100% agreed. Never waste your time arguing with stupid people who think their opinions are facts.
    Tbh this meaningless and unnecessary argument isn't constructive for the OP in any way. Not a wise thing to do to elevate an argument as a CA. :/
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    OP if your parents still won't buy you the PS4, best thing to do might be to wait till you're older and get a part time job that pays a decent amount. Not much you can do with stubborn parents.

ReputationRep:

"why would I stop when I was proved completely right?"

honestly, though, i'm going to get on with my life now because i have more important things to do than argue pointlessly with a deluded fool who thinks his opinions are "facts". But now I come to think of it, you are entitled to having your own opinions after all, regardless of how absurd they are. I hope you too have more important things to do than to vent on TSR. I'm sorry about your bitter childhood which created this resentment in you.
    As your only reponses are emoticons and insults (interesting how you, just a 17/18-year-old after all, keep going on about people's parenting and childhoods. Underlying issues?), I've no choice but to assume you've nothing to actually say.

Good to see TSR has Community Assistants who are simply vindictive forum arguers with no self esteem. That's a good sign.

Feel free to reply needlessly with more insults just to get the last word, that'll impress me yet further. In fact I'll even let you have it. See what difference it makes to you.

ReputationRep:
    Time to start saving! If they think it's too expensive for a gift you can always ask for money instead of gifts at birthdays/Christmas to save up. Or even directly ask them to split the cost with you as a gift.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by sinfonietta)
    Time to start saving! If they think it's too expensive for a gift you can always ask for money instead of gifts at birthdays/Christmas to save up. Or even directly ask them to split the cost with you as a gift.
    Hey have I seen you before on the BellTreeForums? Or is it my imagination lol 😄

ReputationRep:
    You're actually in your 'adolescence'. To be in your 'adolescents' would mean you have a group of teenagers who you penetrate, either metaphorically or, heavens, physically.
    '.

ReputationRep:
    The OP has been asking for a PS4, something that costs just over £200, for four years and is STILL being refused, without given any justifiable reason - you think that's okay?
    His parents are under no obligation to buy him an expensive piece of electronics just because he feels he's missing out on something his friends get to play. There's not some rule that means you have to buy your kid something just because he keeps asking year after year. You don't know his parents' circumstances or what reasons they gave, you've just assumed that they have no justifiable reason because the OP failed to mention one- they could be unemployed, they could have offered him the option of having money for his birthday that he could have saved, you have absolutely no idea to be so self-assured in your defence of this poor child's despicable treatment for not being bought this shiny new toy.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 5, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.