Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Born in Glasgow to Scottish parents & lived there until 2yrs old. Then moved down to London. All my education has been in English system & on looking at unis St Andrews is of interest. Just wondering out of interest if someone in my situation is eligible for the free education Scotland provides due to my birth place?

    Copied straight off the SAAS website, hope it helps a bit? Otherwise google saas and look on their website for more info.


    To meet the general residence conditions, you must have been ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years immediately before the first day of the first academic year of the course (the relevant date). For the majority of students who start their course in the autumn term, the relevant date is 1 August.

    You must also be ordinarily resident in Scotland on the relevant date.

    If you are not a UK or other EU national, you must also have ‘settled status’ in the UK (as set out in the Immigration Act 1971) on the relevant date. If you have not been living in the UK, you may still qualify depending on your circumstances.

    We will not treat you as being ordinarily resident in Scotland if your main purpose in coming here has been to receive full-time education and that you would have otherwise been living elsewhere.

    If you do not meet the general residence conditions set out above, you may still be eligible to apply to us for support in certain circumstances.

    Further information is available in our full residence eligibility rules

    Government employees, members of the armed forces and their families can be absent from the UK, for work purposes, for long periods of time. If you or your family members want to return to the UK to study, your absence from the UK can affect your entitlement to student support. Select the relevant link for more details.

    Unfortunately, it is all about where you have lived for the three years prior to the course starting, not where you were born.


    No, you need to have lived here for 3 concurrent years

    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Unfortunately, it is all about where you have lived for the three years prior to the course starting, not where you were born.

    Not always... I thought that but apparently your parents can have an impact. It's at the universities descretion. Not the best article but my friend sent me ths today;


    My mum is irish and my dad is french but i live in scotland.

    (Original post by BossyJ3)
    Not always....
    Yes. I think the key words in that article are 'get away with'.

    Yes, you're probably right. I wouldn't risk it! Certainly not if having your offer revoked is a possibility.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.