Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have 3 weeks of clinical placement left until I finish my first year of adult nursing. I am okay with theory work in university however really struggle when it comes to placement. I have been on three different ward based placements this year and struggled on every one and I can't understand why. It's made me really consider whether nursing is for me and I don't want to continue with the next two years just for it to not be for me. Can anyone give me any advice please?

ReputationRep:
    I cannot give complete advise as it wasn’t me but my mum trained to be a nurse and hated it! She said dropping out was the best thing she did, so I would say really consider whether you want to. Good luck.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Kayrose13)
    I have 3 weeks of clinical placement left until I finish my first year of adult nursing. I am okay with theory work in university however really struggle when it comes to placement. I have been on three different ward based placements this year and struggled on every one and I can't understand why. It's made me really consider whether nursing is for me and I don't want to continue with the next two years just for it to not be for me. Can anyone give me any advice please?
    Hi, I’m a first year adult nursing student so I don’t have a lot of knowledge but I think that talking things through with your personal tutor might help & maybe your mentor. What are you struggling with on placement? Have you been told by your mentors or other staff that they think you are struggling or brought up an issue or problem?
    As you have had ward based placements so far & you’ve found the theory side of uni okay, could a placement on a different department or setting (not a ward) help you gain some confidence & feel happier about everything?
    I definitely think talking things through with your personal tutor will help you.
    I hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    I am in the same boat with you. I think I am getting closer to dropping out every single day. I was happy until to start my first placement. Now I don't want to go back to my second placement. I didn't like the ward environment, staff was not happy, everything was so depressed. Now, I even lost all my motivation for lectures, assignments, assessments. I was so happy when I was going to lectures last year when I was in the College and this year until my first placement. I will force myself and will try maybe another placement but if I experience the same abuse, bullying, low morale behaviours from staff, I don't think I can carry on anymore. Anyway, good luck to both of us

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.