Turn on thread page Beta

B1340 - Protection of emergency service workers bill 2018 watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    What is this?/I'm confused
    Hi there. If you're confused as to what is going on here then you are probably new to this section of TSR. This is a Model House of Commons, a forum where we emulate the structure of the Real Life House of Commons as an excuse to debate politics.

If you are seeing this and you want to get involved in the debate, please feel free. You do not need to join a party, get approval or join any group to get stuck in right away. If you enjoy it and you do want to join a party then you can do so here. If you have any questions or need any help please message me. I am the current speaker of the house and part of my role involves offering impartial advice to new members so I will always be happy to answer what questions you have. Alternatively, you can read the new members guide to get advice on a wide range of issues.

Note: Please refrain from making comments about how we spend our free time. It is our free time to spend.

B1340 - Protection of emergency service workers bill 2018, Joecphillips seconded by CountBrandenberg

A
    BILL TO
    Create an offence of harassing the emergency service workers while they are doing their job.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1- Causing harassment, alarm or distress of an emergency service worker
    (1)A person is guilty of an offence if he—
    (a)uses threatening words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or
    (b)displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening,within the hearing or sight of a emergency service employee whilst in the process of carrying out their duties likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby .
    (2)An offence under this section may be committed in a public or a private place, except that no offence is committed where the words or behaviour are used, or the writing, sign or other visible representation is displayed, by a person inside a dwelling and the other person is also inside that or another dwelling.
    (3)It is a defence for the accused to prove—
    (a)that he had no reason to believe that there was any person within hearing or sight who was likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress, or
    (b)that he was inside a dwelling and had no reason to believe that the words or behaviour used, or the writing, sign or other visible representation displayed, would be heard or seen by a person outside that or any other dwelling, or
    (c)that his conduct was reasonable.
    (4) A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum or both;

2- Citation and commencement
    (1) This Act extends to the United Kingdom.
    (2) The provisions of this Act come into force on Royal Assent
    (3) This Act may be referred to as the Protection of emergency service workers Act 2018

Notes:
    Recently the case of Kirsty Sharman abusing paramedics hit the news, she posted a note on an ambulance and also continued to shout abuse at the paramedics who were parked up and helping her neighbour who was suffering from breathing difficulties.

It seems cases like the one mentioned are occurring more regularly and people abusing the great people who work for the emergency services should face harsher penalties than just a fine if a judge decides it is appropriate
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    Aye
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Aye

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Isn't this just essentially a section of the Public Order Act, only tailored to emergency service workers? What's the point if this already exists?

ReputationRep:
    What are other examples of unsavoury behaviour towards emergency workers? How does current legislation fail?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatusStarbright)
    Isn't this just essentially a section of the Public Order Act, only tailored to emergency service workers? What's the point if this already exists?
    It is a section but this applies to only emergency service employees and I don’t believe that the maximum penalty for this type of offence towards them while they are doing their job is sufficient, the currently maximum penalty is a £1,000 fine.

ReputationRep:
    What's with the formatting?

ReputationRep:
    Abstain. Creation of a new offence is unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joep95)
    It is a section but this applies to only emergency service employees and I don’t believe that the maximum penalty for this type of offence towards them while they are doing their job is sufficient, the currently maximum penalty is a £1,000 fine.
    Why doesn't the right honourable gentleman increase the punishment for the public order act and apply to everyone why limit it to only the emergency services workers?

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I believe this is a misguided reaction to a story recently in the news; I would suggest that those who have stated support consider this more carefully. This bill introduces the possibility of a prison sentence for the act of appearing threatening to emergency service workers. If an individual is genuinely harassing another individual for a consistent period of time, then that would be an appropriate method of protection. However, this bill refers to one-time occurances in which people are treated unfairly and mistreated for doing a very important job. As stated by CatusStarbright, there is already legislation in place to tackle that behaviour. If change is necessary, than a prison sentence is not the way to go about it. In cases like Kirsty Sharman's, it appears to be an act in which people that are in a bad place or having a bad day let out their emotions and problems through hurting other people. This is wrong, but we cannot forget that it does not possess the repetition in larger offences and is very unlikely to be repeated.

Instead of introducing a potential prison sentence for what is a small wrong, I suggest suspending fines in cases like these until an individual offends again, while simultaneously raising the statutory maximum fine. This would ensure that government's role of protection is fulfilled, without acting disproportionately towards offenders. mr T 999 is also right to state that it is nonsensical for this to merely apply to emergency service workers rather than not amending current legislation. In addition, I may be missing something but I cannot find a point at which the statutory maximum fine is changed, which appears to be one of the goals of this bill. In that case, that means offenders will either serve a prison sentence which is disproportionate, or the same sentence as is currently the case which means nothing is achieved. If I am incorrect, Joep95, then please point me to where this can be found in the bill.

ReputationRep:
    If you abuse someone parked near your house and have a driving licence, would not a driving ban be appropriate?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by KingHarold)
    If you abuse someone parked near your house and have a driving licence, would not a driving ban be appropriate?
    Why do you think that would be an appropriate punishment, given this is not a driving offence?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Abstain. Creation of a new offence is unnecessary.
    I completely agree with this view

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatusStarbright)
    Why do you think that would be an appropriate punishment, given this is not a driving offence?
    Parking outside your house is not a human right, and abusing someone who does should face a sanction on your driving.

If you threatened someone with a gun you would lose it, so if you threaten over parking or motoring matters, seems appropriate if convicted to lose your licence for a time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conceited)
    What are other examples of unsavoury behaviour towards emergency workers? How does current legislation fail?
    Here is another example from this week, http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a8237986.html

I remember a case that went viral in December and another in November but I can’t find an article at the minute.

It fails because as has been shown in the event I originally showed it did not rehabilitate it made her continue her comments online
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    This looks familiar, another recycled bill?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    This looks familiar, another recycled bill?
    I can’t find another version in hansard, it might be because it was submitted a week ago and hadn’t been commented on in a while
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Joep95)
    I can’t find another version in hansard, it might be because it was submitted a week ago and hadn’t been commented on in a while
    Might have been one of Barnetlad's reactionary motions.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.