Turn on thread page Beta

Is 3 Volunteering Shifts A Week Too Much For An A-Level Student...? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 16 years old and currently in my first year at college doing my AS levels (and later A-Levels, of course!). I have organised a voluntary position at a nearby SCOPE branch in order to enhance my CV, confidence and UCAS. I do three shifts a week - Monday after college, Friday before college and 3 hours on Sunday. Lots of others there have been remarking on how it's a fair amount for a full-time A-Level student doing three essay-based subjects and if I want to change I can.

What do you all think? Of course it varies from person to person but I've only been working there one month; so far it hasn't affected me negatively...

ReputationRep:
    I volunteer once a week for 6-8 hours at a Scope shop and it feels really relaxed and nice. I could have done this easily if I were in education. (I started it right after A-levels.)

I guess it really depends on how much work you have to do and nearer to exams you may not have enough time.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by SpacePatroFan189)
    I'm 16 years old and currently in my first year at college doing my AS levels (and later A-Levels, of course!). I have organised a voluntary position at a nearby SCOPE branch in order to enhance my CV, confidence and UCAS. I do three shifts a week - Monday after college, Friday before college and 3 hours on Sunday. Lots of others there have been remarking on how it's a fair amount for a full-time A-Level student doing three essay-based subjects and if I want to change I can.

What do you all think? Of course it varies from person to person but I've only been working there one month; so far it hasn't affected me negatively...
    As long as you keep on top of your college work then no, it shouldnt negatively affect you. Like you say, you are coping so far. There may be the possibility of reducing your hours around exam time should you feel you need it. But id definitely carry on as you are. I think its good what you are doing.
    Nowadays people are too quick to slate doing slightly more hours working/volunteering whilst doing a-levels (or other college courses), forgetting that as well as enhancing your CV, uni and future job applications, it can get you away from studying for a bit and take your mind off it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor

How many hours a week is that? My college reckons anything up to 6 hours a week working/volunteering is beneficial for your school work, and after that it has potential to start pushing into time that should be spent doing school work.
    Personally though I do around 10-15 hours a week (thinking about it I seem to have accidentally cut down slightly recently) and I still manage to tern all my work done with out a problem, although more time to go beyond the curriculum would never do any harm.
    I think the main thing is for you to be keeping up with your work, and still having time to do other stuff, de-stress etc. So as long as you're enjoying it and you have time for that it's all good

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemur14)
    How many hours a week is that? My college reckons anything up to 6 hours a week working/volunteering is beneficial for your school work, and after that it has potential to start pushing into time that should be spent doing school work.
    Personally though I do around 10-15 hours a week (thinking about it I seem to have accidentally cut down slightly recently) and I still manage to tern all my work done with out a problem, although more time to go beyond the curriculum would never do any harm.
    I think the main thing is for you to be keeping up with your work, and still having time to do other stuff, de-stress etc. So as long as you're enjoying it and you have time for that it's all good

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I do approximately 11 hours a week
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I do approximately 11 hours a week
    I'd say for now as long as you've got time to do other stuff as well as school work and volunteering it's fine In year 13 you might like to cut it back a bit though!

ReputationRep:
    You have your whole life to volunteer, 2 years to do A levels, so make sure you have your priorities right because in 3 years time nobody will be sympathetic if you say you got a grade lower because you did more charity work than revising, and A levels are notoriously difficult to resit once you are out of college. A broad range of experiences is generally preferred to what is basically a repetitive, unpaid shop job and AS is a lot easier than A2. Don't under-estimate the difficulty of A levels or the consequences. I wouldn't have expected negative results after only one month, it is the type of thing that creeps up and is impossible to compare with hindsight. Someone volunteering 3 hours a week would gain just as much as you, nobody at UCAS is going go into how many hours you do. IMHO If you want to do something altruistic, do the Sunday shift, get good A levels and THEN go on a summer volunteering project (using the skills you need to demonstrate or have acquired) or you might end up a charity case yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umbrella321)
    You have your whole life to volunteer, 2 years to do A levels, so make sure you have your priorities right because in 3 years time nobody will be sympathetic if you say you got a grade lower because you did more charity work than revising, and A levels are notoriously difficult to resit once you are out of college. A broad range of experiences is generally preferred to what is basically a repetitive, unpaid shop job and AS is a lot easier than A2. Don't under-estimate the difficulty of A levels or the consequences. I wouldn't have expected negative results after only one month, it is the type of thing that creeps up and is impossible to compare with hindsight. Someone volunteering 3 hours a week would gain just as much as you, nobody at UCAS is going go into how many hours you do. IMHO If you want to do something altruistic, do the Sunday shift, get good A levels and THEN go on a summer volunteering project (using the skills you need to demonstrate or have acquired) or you might end up a charity case yourself.
    No need to scare the **** out of me like that!!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.