Turn on thread page Beta

Non-gcse heavy medical Unis watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So my gcse grades are quite poor for medical school: 2 A* (Biology, Rs) 5 As (English lit and lang, chemistry, history and maths) and 3 Bs (Music, physics and spanish).

I am trying very hard to get high A-level grades and a high UKCAT/BMAT score (speaking of the academics).

Which unis don't focus much on GCSE grades? Which prefer A-levels, UKCAT/BMAT, personal statement, experience?
    And if anyone likes, I'd be more than happy to hear of stories about getting into med school with non-competative GCSE grades for a boost of hope.

ReputationRep:
    bristol is a good choice, but it is sill insanely competitive
    here is a comparison tool https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...omparisontool/
    my advice is to avoid schools which use your gcses in a points based system

ReputationRep:
    Avoid places like Oxford, Cardiff and Birmingham which primarily look at GCSEs when selecting applicants for interview. You still have plenty of options though so just work hard during your A-levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZombieTheWolf)
    So my gcse grades are quite poor for medical school: 2 A* (Biology, Rs) 5 As (English lit and lang, chemistry, history and maths) and 3 Bs (Music, physics and spanish).

I am trying very hard to get high A-level grades and a high UKCAT/BMAT score (speaking of the academics).

Which unis don't focus much on GCSE grades? Which prefer A-levels, UKCAT/BMAT, personal statement, experience?
    And if anyone likes, I'd be more than happy to hear of stories about getting into med school with non-competative GCSE grades for a boost of hope.
    I got 1A* and 3A's and still got interviews for BSMS, Southampton bm6, Kings emdp
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamedxAli)
    I got 1A* and 3A's and still got interviews for BSMS, Southampton bm6, Kings emdp
    Did you manage to get any offers?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.