Turn on thread page Beta

Cant find a job! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I’ve been applying for ages but not getting anywhere! Do I need to change my CV for different job roles I apply for? This is so stressing. Who can be asked changing they CV around for every job. Plz help me
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Unknown19x)
    I’ve been applying for ages but not getting anywhere! Do I need to change my CV for different job roles I apply for? This is so stressing. Who can be asked changing they CV around for every job. Plz help me
    Yes, the more you can tailor your CV to each job, the more competitive you are likely to be. Sure there's not so much difference between retail in Tesco and retail in Sainsbury's, but it's not the same as bar work, or waitering, or labouring, or office work etc.

You also need a covering letter for each application that is tailored to say why you want to work for each organisation.

It's not stressful, it just takes a bit of effort, but not nearly as much as a job does!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Unknown19x)

Hi,

Sorry to hear you’re feeling stressed about applying for jobs but it’s great you’re looking for some advice.

It might sound like a lot of work, but once you’ve got the hang of it, changing your CV to match up with what the job advert is looking for is quite simple.

For example, if you are applying for a job in customer service, you’ll want to highlight these skills in your CV more than you might focus on computer skills – on the other side, if you’re applying for a job in an office away from the public, the computer skills you have will be more useful to an employer than customer service skills.

There are a few articles on TSR which can be really helpful when writing a CV and you can always get in touch with the National Careers Service as well – we have a CV section of our website as well:

https://nationalcareersservice.direc...-a-job/cv-tips

I hope this helps and feel free to give us a shout if there’s anything else we can help with!

Good luck!

Tom – National Careers Service Team.

ReputationRep:
    It is pretty difficult to get a job at the moment, jobs you'd think wouldn't be so popular, like stacking shelves, get soooo many applicants.

What I found worked for me was I stopped looking at big retailers like sainsburys, waitrose etc. Instead I took my CV into town and handed it out to smaller shops and sent emails to companies, so that if they ever wanted to hire someone, they already had my CV. This worked for me so it may be worth a try.

If that doesn't work, possibly try and get a work experience placement if you haven't got any. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just at a supermarket or a shop for a week or so. That way at least you have some skills that will be seen as useful and will hopefully make you stand out that little bit more.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.