Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I just found out that I will be graduating with a 2:2 in Information Systems. I'm so depressed right now that I could not get some proper sleep. The thing that is more depressing is that knowing I put all these hours studying to get a First or worst case a 2:1. I gave up going out & making music and I end up with a 2:2.

Anyone who has been in this similar situation..how you overcame that?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Is repeating your final year an option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeapingLucy)
    Is repeating your final year an option?

I asked at the university they told me its not an option.

ReputationRep:
    A 2:2 really is not the end of the world. It's not the best result, sure, but you still have something to show for your hard work, and realistically speaking a 2:2 still gets you in a position to apply for a good number of graduate jobs. (Remember that plenty of people work in IT who don't even have a degree - IT is very much a skills-based industry)

The important thing now is not to worry too much about the things which you're unable to change, and focus on the things you are able to control instead.

Firstly, what would you like to do next? Do you know what kind of job you want? Do you want to stay in education and study something else? Do you just want to drop everything and go travelling? It's a good time to be making some choices and think about where you'd like to go from here.

Secondly, once you've decided what you want, think about how to get there. If you want a job, think whether you have the right skills for it, and either look at applying to those kinds of jobs or training yourself up in whichever skills you might be missing.

A 2:2 doesn't really stop you from having a great career or a great future. The most likely effect is that you'll probably start out on a lower initial salary than somebody who graduated with a 1st, but after you've been working for a few years, your degree will be irrelevant anyway, and your salary will be entirely down to your own ability and performance.

In many cases, it might mean looking at some of the options you might not have looked at before (such as smaller companies looking to hire graduates on a lower wage than the big employers, but who will also be more open minded about your grades too)

The worst-case scenario it might just take a little longer to get to the position you might want to be in - maybe you'll need to do a bit of extra work getting yourself some extra skills for a while - these things are only problems if you dwell on them and allow them to demotivate you from trying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winterscoming)
    A 2:2 really is not the end of the world. It's not the best result, sure, but you still have something to show for your hard work, and realistically speaking a 2:2 still gets you in a position to apply for a good number of graduate jobs. (Remember that plenty of people work in IT who don't even have a degree - IT is very much a skills-based industry)

The important thing now is not to worry too much about the things which you're unable to change, and focus on the things you are able to control instead.

Firstly, what would you like to do next? Do you know what kind of job you want? Do you want to stay in education and study something else? Do you just want to drop everything and go travelling? It's a good time to be making some choices and think about where you'd like to go from here.

Secondly, once you've decided what you want, think about how to get there. If you want a job, think whether you have the right skills for it, and either look at applying to those kinds of jobs or training yourself up in whichever skills you might be missing.

A 2:2 doesn't really stop you from having a great career or a great future. The most likely effect is that you'll probably start out on a lower initial salary than somebody who graduated with a 1st, but after you've been working for a few years, your degree will be irrelevant anyway, and your salary will be entirely down to your own ability and performance.

In many cases, it might mean looking at some of the options you might not have looked at before (such as smaller companies looking to hire graduates on a lower wage than the big employers, but who will also be more open minded about your grades too)

The worst-case scenario it might just take a little longer to get to the position you might want to be in - maybe you'll need to do a bit of extra work getting yourself some extra skills for a while - these things are only problems if you dwell on them and allow them to demotivate you from trying.
    Sound advice!

ReputationRep:
    2:2 is still good ! especially in IT.

EY doesnt even have a entry requirement and most public sector graduate schemes accept 2:2 !

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.