Paramedic science
    £500
    Needs to last for three years
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ProStudent)
    Not a MacBook though.
    Depends on your course and whether or not you're one of those Starbucks fashionistas who demand ultra-thin ultrabooks.

I use a chunky Lenovo ThinkPad T440p and it serves me fine running a Linux distro.

I'll move this over to the Laptops subforum :borat:

ReputationRep:
    Lenovo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Depends on your course and whether or not you're one of those Starbucks fashionistas who demand ultra-thin ultrabooks.

I use a chunky Lenovo ThinkPad T440p and it serves me fine running a Linux distro.

I would like to do paramedic science at Uni of Greenwich/ St Georges.

ReputationRep:
    I'd get a laptop over a tablet for UNI work easy. I'd also stick with a known and reputable brand (HP,ASUS, LENOVO etc). Plus if your used to Windows OS use a Windows OS, use Linux if you want to but I'd keep things easy and stick to what your used to.

The rest is down to:

Personal Preferance
    Budget.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)

Ah every time I see those starbucks fashionistas I dream of them spilling their frappuccino's all over those ultra-thin ultrabooks

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't have to be a macbook but I would still really recommend a laptop on the thinner/lighter side otherwise you won't want to carry it around in your bag. I know some people with top quality chunkier laptops but they're so reluctant to bring them to lectures because they can't be f*cked carrying them all day. But obviously if you're a tank then it won't really matter.

ReputationRep:
    anything as long as you slap on a supreme sticker on it
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I personally use a Dell XPS 13 for my laptop needs and have a desktop for everything else. But actual recommendations would depend on your budget. My two basic recommendations are this for a solid mid-budget device and the XPS 13 for ultrabook. If you go cheaper (sub £400) and still want to buy new you tend to start losing out on key things, such as screen resolution, RAM, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crosssafley)
    anything as long as you slap on a supreme sticker on it
    Nice, just get a box and paint it like a laptop and just stick that sticker right on

ReputationRep:
    Not a MacBook though.
    I have a HP Envy Notebook - (13-d050na) and I would absolutely recommend it!

It cost around £600, so not super cheap, but given its qualities it’s well worth the price.

It starts up in around 10 seconds, mines a 13” so incredibly lightweight, can handle gaming well if that’s of any concern to you - But I primarily use it for note taking. The light up keyboard is a personal fave of mine, and the windows 10 software is easy to get around with.

I’m sure there’s many other technical features that are relevant, but I’m not an overly technical person.

Only downside I can think of is after owning it for 2 and a half years, the battery used to last about 8 hours and now can work unplugged for around 2 1/2. This isn’t an issue for me as I can plug it in wherever I work, but just be prepared to carry the charger with you should you get one and you want it for the day.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Not a MacBook though.
    What's your budget?

ReputationRep:
    best laptop for an architecture student? needs to handle CAD etc. any suggestions?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I work at a laptop repair shop. I've always sworn by Dell myself, and have pushed a few people towards the Inspiron 13 5000 - both of which have been very happy with it. If memory serves, dell have a 10% off student discount, so the SSD version of that model comes in at about £500.

Again, this is just my personal position, but avoid HP and Lenovo. We see constant issues with systems from both of these manufacturers - both seem to do the stupid metal hinges-screwed-into-plastic thing leading to the hinges breaking, with Lenovo most prone to this. HP systems come in with all sorts of faults, usually as a consequence of bad design. Every manufacturer has its dud models, though, so have a good read up on what you buy before you buy it.

Important point, though - buy something with a solid-state drive, not a spinning disk (or a HDD as they're often referred to). That will by far and away make the most difference to the speed of the system.

ReputationRep:
    end it. d reld you
    (Original post by FloralHybrid)
    I have a HP Envy Notebook - (13-d050na) and I would absolutely recommend it!

It cost around £600, so not super cheap, but given its qualities it’s well worth the price.

It starts up in around 10 seconds, mines a 13” so incredibly lightweight, can handle gaming well if that’s of any concern to you - But I primarily use it for note taking. The light up keyboard is a personal fave of mine, and the windows 10 software is easy to get around with.

I’m sure there’s many other technical features that are relevant, but I’m not an overly technical person.

Only downside I can think of is after owning it for 2 and a half years, the battery used to last about 8 hours and now can work unplugged for around 2 1/2. This isn’t an issue for me as I can plug it in wherever I work, but just be prepared to carry the charger with you should you get one and you want it for the day.
    It seems pretty good but I'm only using it for 3 years so would you recommend it?

ReputationRep:
    end it. d reld you

It seems pretty good but I'm only using it for 3 years so would you recommend it?
    It's an older model so I wouldn't recommend it mainly because there are newer, more powerful ones currently out

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 27, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.