Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm interested in becoming a primary (reception/ks1) teacher. There is a lot of information out there and it I'd really confusing. I studying a level 3 childcare and education course. After I have completed the course, which is the best way to become a primary teacher? I don't have a lot of money do uni is probably not the best option. Could I straight away do apprenticeship to become one? Also, do u need to have a c grade in gcse science? Thanks for reading x
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by EmilyMayRussell)
    Hi, I'm interested in becoming a primary (reception/ks1) teacher. There is a lot of information out there and it I'd really confusing. I studying a level 3 childcare and education course. After I have completed the course, which is the best way to become a primary teacher? I don't have a lot of money do uni is probably not the best option. Could I straight away do apprenticeship to become one? Also, do u need to have a c grade in gcse science? Thanks for reading x
    C grade in science is a yes to my knowledge I'm afraid. I don't know how strict universities/schemes/employers are on that though...:hmmmm:

To be a Teacher you need Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). It's rare to get QTS without a degree.

You can do a Primary Education BA (with QTS) degree that normally lasts 4 years which will enable you to become a primary school teacher.

Or you can do a degree of your choosing and do a post-graduate qualification (like a PGCE or PGDE) afterwards that gives you QTS.

Other post-grad options are available like Schools direct and teach first, which award you with QTS as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilyMayRussell)
    x
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    C grade in science is a yes to my knowledge I'm afraid. I don't know how strict universities/schemes/employers are on that though...:hmmmm:

To be a Teacher you need Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). It's rare to get QTS without a degree.

You can do a Primary Education BA (with QTS) degree that normally lasts 4 years which will enable you to become a primary school teacher.

Or you can do a degree of your choosing and do a post-graduate qualification (like a PGCE or PGDE) afterwards that gives you QTS.

Other post-grad options are available like Schools direct and teach first, which award you with QTS as well.
    Just to build on your answer - a grade C in GCSE Science is an absolute requirement, but there are GCSE-level equivalency exams that may be accepted; it'll be up to the individual institutions. BA QTS courses are often 3 years, so a year shorter than doing an undergrad degree than a PGCE, though several places are 4 years.

And Emily, as you want to teach Reception & KS1, look out for the 3-7 route. The 5-11 route is the most common, but that doesn't include EYFS and therefore Reception, so make sure, whether you end up applying for undergrad or postgrad routes, that it's the 3-7 route as a lot of places just do 5-11 by default and without emphasis. I'm applying for a 3-7 Primary PGCE this October and a lot of places I really liked (Durham and Manchester to name a couple) only offer 5-11, and undergrad courses are often the same.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.