Turn on thread page Beta

Repayment of maintenance grant watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I've graduated university 4 years ago in 2014. At the time of starting my degree (September 2011) I lived with my mum. For the first year I've only applied for the maintenance grant (the one you don't have to pay back- this according to parental income). I moved out from home in March/ April 2012 and moved into house share. I didn't apply for any help apart from maintenance grant again in the second year either. In the third year (2013) it was harder with money as I had to reduce how many hours I work so I've applied for other financial help- a student loan, I've also applied for the period of my second year. At the time of the application I had to fill in additional paperwork and I had to include my mum in the application form. (I was a mature student- started my degree at the age of 22 And being classed as an independent student I had to earn certain amount of money prior to starting my degree, And I was few thousand pound short). So when I included my mum in the application form there was a question about partners, obviously I was being honest and said my mum lived with a partner (at the time of me filling in application form -2013). And basically the student finally gave me £3'000 in maintenance grant but then later said because my mum's partner was earning above certain amount of money I need to pay all of it back, it was very upsetting time for me then. They looked at it again and reduced it to £1500 which I'm still paying back to this day. Since then I got married and had a baby so only repaying a small amount. To this day I find it extremely unfair why my mum's partner who she wasn't living with my mum (not even met her yet) at the start of my studies. I wasn't able to be classed as an independent student yet I started studies in September 2011 and they started living together in March 2013. So i find it very unfair how a person who isn't my father, not even a stepfather would be involved in the application as they started living together 2 years after I started university and had no influence on my income since me moving out as I've been supporting myself. Can I somehow protest it. I know it's been a long time however I still believe I wasn't treated fairly and I shouldn't have been paying this off.

Thank you
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by nadya_rogers)
    Hello! I've graduated university 4 years ago in 2014. At the time of starting my degree (September 2011) I lived with my mum. For the first year I've only applied for the maintenance grant (the one you don't have to pay back- this according to parental income). I moved out from home in March/ April 2012 and moved into house share. I didn't apply for any help apart from maintenance grant again in the second year either. In the third year (2013) it was harder with money as I had to reduce how many hours I work so I've applied for other financial help- a student loan, I've also applied for the period of my second year. At the time of the application I had to fill in additional paperwork and I had to include my mum in the application form. (I was a mature student- started my degree at the age of 22 And being classed as an independent student I had to earn certain amount of money prior to starting my degree, And I was few thousand pound short). So when I included my mum in the application form there was a question about partners, obviously I was being honest and said my mum lived with a partner (at the time of me filling in application form -2013). And basically the student finally gave me £3'000 in maintenance grant but then later said because my mum's partner was earning above certain amount of money I need to pay all of it back, it was very upsetting time for me then. They looked at it again and reduced it to £1500 which I'm still paying back to this day. Since then I got married and had a baby so only repaying a small amount. To this day I find it extremely unfair why my mum's partner who she wasn't living with my mum (not even met her yet) at the start of my studies. I wasn't able to be classed as an independent student yet I started studies in September 2011 and they started living together in March 2013. So i find it very unfair how a person who isn't my father, not even a stepfather would be involved in the application as they started living together 2 years after I started university and had no influence on my income since me moving out as I've been supporting myself. Can I somehow protest it. I know it's been a long time however I still believe I wasn't treated fairly and I shouldn't have been paying this off.

Thank you
    Hi Nadya,

If your mum changed from being Single to living with a partner during the academic year we won't require their spouse / partners income details until the following academic year, if this was the case you can email appeal at [email protected] and they can look into this for you.

Thanks

Catherine

ReputationRep:
    Hiya! Thank you for your reply. Would it matter the fact that I never lived with my mum's partner? I moved out during my first year of uni and they started living together during second year of uni. Since I moved out my mum hasn't supported me, I have been supporting myself. Thank you for that email
    , I've emailed them already. Just wanted to see if it is truly unfair that her partner who I never lived with and don't have anything to do with me is part of my application. Thank you
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hiya! Thank you for your reply. Would it matter the fact that I never lived with my mum's partner? I moved out during my first year of uni and they started living together during second year of uni. Since I moved out my mum hasn't supported me, I have been supporting myself. Thank you for that email
    , I've emailed them already. Just wanted to see if it is truly unfair that her partner who I never lived with and don't have anything to do with me is part of my application. Thank you
    Hi nadya,

This would not make a difference if you lived in the household or not, as you were under 25 it's still based on the household income and this will include your mums partner weather he supports you or not this is because he still lives in the household.

Thanks

Catherine

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I don't understand why it wouldn't make a difference. How can a household income reflect me if I didn't live with my mum and him? Thank you
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hello! I don't understand why it wouldn't make a difference. How can a household income reflect me if I didn't live with my mum and him? Thank you
    Hi Nadys,

This is because you are under 25 and classed as a dependent student, which means that to calculate your finance we will take into consideration the household income, this is the income of whoever is living in the household when you apply.

Thanks

Catherine

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.