Turn on thread page Beta

My grade requirements for uni is AAB and I'm scared I won't achieve them watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to study English Lit and French and the requirement for them is AAB and I'm not feeling strong with these A levels. They're too much and I'm having doubts but I really want to go to university.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by RamenNoNoodles)
    I want to study English Lit and French and the requirement for them is AAB and I'm not feeling strong with these A levels. They're too much and I'm having doubts but I really want to go to university.
    Call up your university and ask what happens and what they prioritise in August if you miss your offer. Some universities are very flexible over the grades that they will take while others are more picky.

If your university is a picky one then there’s usually lots of great options for English and French courses in clearing. And hopefully you also have an insurance choice that you like?

Aiming for your offer conditions doesn’t commit you to going to university. Work towards the best grades possible and then use your long summer break to explore your options for university or getting a job.

ReputationRep:
    What University is that? AAB might seem daunting to you but if it's not a competitive university you still could get in with lower grades and a good personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    Every university I've talked to doesn't release the grades they will have for august time. But most universities do have spaced on courses when it comes to august. In clearing is normally goes down by one grade on one a level. The most is 2 a levels go down by one grade each in a lucky year.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MissMaz1)
    Every university I've talked to doesn't release the grades they will have for august time. But most universities do have spaced on courses when it comes to august. In clearing is normally goes down by one grade on one a level. The most is 2 a levels go down by one grade each in a lucky year.
    40% of people accepted by their firm choice miss their predictions by more than 2 grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stingggggg)
    What University is that? AAB might seem daunting to you but if it's not a competitive university you still could get in with lower grades and a good personal statement.
    University of Manchester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    40% of people accepted by their firm choice miss their predictions by more than 2 grades.
    That's a bit more reassuring
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    That's a bit more reassuring
    There will be people within that group who had firm choices that had conditions below their predictions (or even had predicted offers) but it's far from unusual for people to be accepted with lower grades.

It's absolutely fine to ask a university what they prioritise in August when deciding which (if any) applicants who missed their offer that they will accept. They might be very clear that they're flexible over other grades but want an A in English regardless or they might look for nothing below a B or a whole bunch of other things. While they can't tell you exactly what will happen in August they can normally give an idea whether any flexibility is possible (some courses are 100% clear that they don't take lower grades) and if there is then the worst of things they take into consideration.

ReputationRep:
    Not to sound offensive or patronising, but what are you trying to achieve with this forum post?
    Do you want me to tell you, "it's going to be ok" or "don't worry you'll be fine"?

You need to do something instead of complaining. I would like to applaud you though, the fact that you recognise this as an issue is the first step to solving the problem.

My best advice (instead of giving weightless encouragement) is to go and tell this to your sixth form advisor. Considering the fact that you "really want to go to university" you need to tell them that and they'll give you options and "plan Bs" if things don't work out.

In theory, you can get an A*/A*/A*, anything that can happen, will happen. Think about it, you walk into the exam, answer the questions and leave. It's not like there is a physical constraint that stops you from getting an A/A/B, it's not like when you sit the exam you'll have negative marks.
    Change your mind-set, I'm not saying that you will get A/B/B but what I am saying is that you can. They say that fear is the negative version of excitement, so don't be scared, be happy!
    In a few months (or if you're in y12, another year) you could be studying in university, meeting new people and having one of the best times of your life! The only thing standing in your way is you.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Kushala Daora)
    Not to sound offensive or patronising, but what are you trying to achieve with this forum post?
    OP wasn't complaining, and has been reassured by the helpful posters who already replied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    OP wasn't complaining, and has been reassured by the helpful posters who already replied.
    Well I'm sorry if I've misunderstood the OP, it was the bit in bold that I interpreted as complaining.
    However, the post was very vague and there's not much you can say without making assumptions (like I just did). Also I don't see the point in making these kind of threads, unless the OP specifically asks us what they want. Otherwise, in my mind, I think "so what?". I don't mean to be rude, but TSR is littered with threads that are meaningless.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I don't mean to be rude, but TSR is littered with threads that are meaningless.
    So just move on then and reply in threads that interest you

ReputationRep:
    So just move on then and reply in threads that interest you
    True.
    But I want to help.
    Is there a way that I can apply to become a moderator?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Is there a way that I can apply to become a moderator?
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5127564
    But you would be expected to have more posting experience

So maybe try in a few months.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5127564
    But you would be expected to have more posting experience

So maybe try in a few months.
    Thanks! Do you have any idea on the minimum number of posts I need to make?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Thanks! Do you have any idea on the minimum number of posts I need to make?
    There's no set minimum, but most CAs are generally quite experienced posters. Anyway we are taking this thread off topic, so if you have questions ask in that thread instead.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.