Turn on thread page Beta

Thinking about dropping out and starting anew watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all. This is my first post here and I'd like to apologise beforehand if I posted this in the wrong place.

I'm currently a second year student studying a Chemical Engineering degree and I honestly dislike my course. I wouldn't blame the lecturers or staff. It's mostly due to the fact that I don't really enjoy the modules I'm learning and I can't imagine my future with this degree. I went with this degree because of my choice of A-levels being Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths, clearly pointing towards the path of an engineering degree. However, I'm always fond of Biology and was thinking of pursuing a veterinary science degree instead. The contrast between the two is huge and I'm hoping for advice on how I should approach my predicament.

I have visited the careers service team and my personal tutor and they said that I could go for the 3 year chemical engineering course rather than my current 4 year course. Then, I could apply for a postgraduate course. However, I can't seem to find the motivation to complete my second and final year of my course. I've noticed that I've been skipping most of my lectures (opting to watch lecture recordings instead) and finishing assignments a few hours before the due date and my performance throughout my second year has dropped considerably. At this point, I'm not even sure if my grades during my second year would allow me to continue into my third year. If that's the case, I'm not too sure where to go from there.

I would greatly appreciate any advice and insight on my situation. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FAFA5925)
    Hi all. This is my first post here and I'd like to apologise beforehand if I posted this in the wrong place.

I'm currently a second year student studying a Chemical Engineering degree and I honestly dislike my course. I wouldn't blame the lecturers or staff. It's mostly due to the fact that I don't really enjoy the modules I'm learning and I can't imagine my future with this degree. I went with this degree because of my choice of A-levels being Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths, clearly pointing towards the path of an engineering degree. However, I'm always fond of Biology and was thinking of pursuing a veterinary science degree instead. The contrast between the two is huge and I'm hoping for advice on how I should approach my predicament.

I have visited the careers service team and my personal tutor and they said that I could go for the 3 year chemical engineering course rather than my current 4 year course. Then, I could apply for a postgraduate course. However, I can't seem to find the motivation to complete my second and final year of my course. I've noticed that I've been skipping most of my lectures (opting to watch lecture recordings instead) and finishing assignments a few hours before the due date and my performance throughout my second year has dropped considerably. At this point, I'm not even sure if my grades during my second year would allow me to continue into my third year. If that's the case, I'm not too sure where to go from there.

either transfer or drop out and reapply via ucas

email a lecturer from your dream course as well if you prefer that
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

Have you considered it from a financial perspective i.e. do you need tuition loans? If you do, you might need to think about that as well while making your choice. SF work out your entitlement like this:

Years of study of current course plus one gift year - previous years of study.

Unless you have some Compelling Personal Reasons (which can then allow additional years of funding), I think you might have trouble with funding for the first year of the new course. However, if you're self-funding, that won't be a problem. 🙂
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Veterinary science is much like medicine in terms of admissions. They accept graduates with a 2.1 but if you drop out they will throw your application in the bin. Sometimes life is a b-i-t-c-h but you must finish this chapter of your life if you want to move onto better things. You're 1 year away...
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

Heya! I appreciate so much about how difficult it must be to feel so demotivated, and I'm sorry you're going through that!

I think before you make such a major decision, it would be good to asses what exactly you dislike about your chemical engineering degree. Is it the amount of reading, the way lectures are taught, or the practicals? What about the content do you like or dislike? Remember that second year in general can be a bit of a slog (my second year of physics was all about building the basics up, and my gosh it was so difficult and challenging and made me really question everything. But then third year came around and I got to apply all of that knowledge and it all became much more fun again!), and that perhaps you just need to look at applications of your knowledge to revive that spark if it's currently being buried under books and coursework!

Then I would take a look at why you want to move into vet science. Do you honestly see yourself in this career? What would the modules be like? What similarities (in content or in skill application) does it share with chemical engineering, if any, and if those are the things that you disliked about chemical engineering in the first place, how will you deal with that?

I would thoroughly take a look into vet science courses, checking modules out and perhaps speaking with someone at an upcoming Open Day, before you make the switch. Then, like someone above said, make sure to double check the finance side of things before moving things forward with your tutor!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.