Turn on thread page Beta

How long did people date/ know each other before becoming exclusive/ together watch

ReputationRep:
    I’m 23 and I’ve started dating someone very recently and we had a very strong connection from the start.
    We had a brief chat about where it was going and want to be exclusive and in an official relationship at some point.
    I’m just aware it feels quite quick and don’t want this to accidentally ruin it.
    I know it’s a personal choice but just interested to know how long people dated or knew each other before getting together officially/ exclusively, would just like a general idea on how others do it ☺️
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    It really depends on the people, every couple moves at different paces. If it feels too quick then it probably is, just let it flow naturally and you'll be together eventually.

For me, it was about a month of dating/talking before making things official.

ReputationRep:
    It feels like it’s almost not too quick largely due to how quickly/ easily we clicked. But just worried it could accidentally ruin things so purposely drawing it out 😬 but maybe it’s not too quick and it’s just my perception or things I keep being told like someone said 6 months which feels ridiculous to me 😳

ReputationRep:
    It honestly depends from person to person and couple to couple. I have a friend who just broke up with her boyfriend 3 weeks ago and has officially start dating someone else exclusively whereas me and my partner were friends for 5 years before making any form of commitment (but that may be because we both have anxiety issues and couldn't bring ourselves to say anything earlier lmao).

If it feels right to you then you're not going too fast, but if you are uncomfortable with the speed then take it back a notch! It's a very subjective thing.

Best of luck to you!

ReputationRep:
    As long as both of you are happy to move at a fast pace, then there's nothing wrong with doing so and it won't ruin anything

What ruins it is when one person is very keen to move on, and the other deep-down isn't, but then moves at their pace anyway because they don't want to inhibit anything. As long as you're both very clear you're happy to be exclusive, start being that way as soon as possible!

ReputationRep:
    I knew my current partner for about 2 years before we got together but neither of us liked the other as anything more than acquaintances, we didn't really know each other either

But we did move fairly fast when we got together, we never had the "what are we" chat, guess we just kind of knew we wanted to be exclusive

ReputationRep:
    We knew each other for a brief time but it was an intense time, a few days before we became official. We were in a situation when we needed each other, her needing me more. She struggled with drugs and was living in hostels and I wanted to be there for her, met her at 15 we were on/off for almost decade, we're done now though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    I knew my current partner for about 2 years before we got together but neither of us liked the other as anything more than acquaintances, we didn't really know each other either

But we did move fairly fast when we got together, we never had the "what are we" chat, guess we just kind of knew we wanted to be exclusive
    lol jesus look at the relationships index page, you are all over it, went on a posting rampage during lunch hour? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    It really depends on the people, every couple moves at different paces. If it feels too quick then it probably is, just let it flow naturally and you'll be together eventually.

For me, it was about a month of dating/talking before making things official.
    aw you've got a girlfriend x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Optimistic_Panda)
    It feels like it’s almost not too quick largely due to how quickly/ easily we clicked. But just worried it could accidentally ruin things so purposely drawing it out 😬 but maybe it’s not too quick and it’s just my perception or things I keep being told like someone said 6 months which feels ridiculous to me 😳
    I totally get you, I am having a similar experience. My advice is to move at the pace that the other person wants to even if you are champing at the bit to get it going. I feel you in that I can be impatient to get things moving if I really like someone, but if the person is really important to you, you will find it in you to be patient and respectful of them. If they are also keen to get things going, I would proceed, but with caution. You don't want to get too caught up in your feelings, only to find that you get burned later. They will respect you in turn.
    A bit of a more personal note:
    The person I like I am currently friends with, and I'm enjoying this moment. I'm enjoying it because it is making our friendship so much stronger, and they feel comfortable this way right now. I may feel like I one day will want more, but I'm keeping my feelings inside (when I talk to them) and being patient, because I believe they're worth waiting for.
    So heed my advice (or not) and I wish you much luck with it all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bang Outta Order)
    lol jesus look at the relationships index page, you are all over it, went on a posting rampage during lunch hour? lol
    I was bored earlier :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    I was bored earlier :lol:
    ha can't rep you again but that's all right, thats what tsr is for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getmeoffmyphone)
    I totally get you, I am having a similar experience. My advice is to move at the pace that the other person wants to even if you are champing at the bit to get it going. I feel you in that I can be impatient to get things moving if I really like someone, but if the person is really important to you, you will find it in you to be patient and respectful of them. If they are also keen to get things going, I would proceed, but with caution. You don't want to get too caught up in your feelings, only to find that you get burned later. They will respect you in turn.
    A bit of a more personal note:
    The person I like I am currently friends with, and I'm enjoying this moment. I'm enjoying it because it is making our friendship so much stronger, and they feel comfortable this way right now. I may feel like I one day will want more, but I'm keeping my feelings inside (when I talk to them) and being patient, because I believe they're worth waiting for.
    So heed my advice (or not) and I wish you much luck with it all
    If anything it’s the other way round! Stayed up all night chatting and he brought up the so what is this convo and said he’d not talked to anyone else (as in meeting other girls) since we met so is kinda being exclusive himself as far as I can tell. I really like him too and no planning on seeing anyone else but I said how about just dating as I’m trying to draw it out but I’m not 100% sure why other than I’m concerned it’ll ruin it or other people will tell me I’m being stupid. When I was younger I’d get with someone quickly, but now I’m older, got a career, home all the adult things lol! I feel like relationships should reflect this a bit more and be a bit more mature.

ReputationRep:
    Me and my partner used to work for the same company in different areas of a military camp. We saw each other a lot. Then we were down the pub and I went home with him one night. To be honest, we started seeing each other from that point, getting to know each other in the process and because official a month later, and we’ve been together for four years now. If it feels right, it feels right, please remember that.

(Original post by Optimistic_Panda)
    I am quite am exclusive person so with all of my relationships we talked about making it official after like 2, 3 date. But I wouldn’t be going on a dates with two people at once anyway and the people I dated were similar so it made sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am quite am exclusive person so with all of my relationships we talked about making it official after like 2, 3 date. But I wouldn’t be going on a dates with two people at once anyway and the people I dated were similar so it made sense.
    Couldn’t date more than one person at a time purely because I’d get them mixed up 😂

ReputationRep:
    Once you've had a few successful dates and done the business.

ReputationRep:
    Me and my current GF had been dating for just over a month before I asked if we could make it official. We had 6 dates, I met her family, and she met some of my friends.

ReputationRep:
    'In my day ...'

Seriously? We didn't really date as such, we hung out, went to the cinema, had dinner, slept together, were exclusive from day one, didn't talk about it, it was just assumed that after the natural transition from friend-with-benefits to an item that we wouldn't be seeing other people.

ReputationRep:
    We knew each other for a couple months and of that were seeing each other for about a month until we became exclusive. Still not completely official although most of our friends know and even some family members (of each other's existence ).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 2, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.