Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Based on my GCSEs (3A*,3A,3B) , my experience (working in a GP surgery, volunteering at a hospice, week in a pharmacy) and having a range of extra curricular, which medical schools would i be best looking into so i know which admission test to sit later this year.

ReputationRep:
    Leeds
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Look at the university websites. They tell you their entry requirements. But I can definitely say, not Cardiff.

ReputationRep:
    Wait until you sit the UKCAT (and/or BMAT) before deciding. Too soon to start thinking about choices now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HateOCR)
    Wait until you sit the UKCAT (and/or BMAT) before deciding. Too soon to start thinking about choices now.
    I disagree as if you do that you won't be able to visit all the unis and you will be applying to unis blind. Besides you should have an idea which unis you can and can't get into based off the other entry requirements too and what teaching styles you would like and what scores you will need in the ukcat/ bmat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stardust987)
    I disagree as if you do that you won't be able to visit all the unis and you will be applying to unis blind. Besides you should have an idea which unis you can and can't get into based off the other entry requirements too and what teaching styles you would like and what scores you will need in the ukcat/ bmat.
    If OP sits the UKCAT in early summer they have 2 months to see their potential unis.

ReputationRep:
    I really like the look of courses with smaller cohorts (keele and Dundee) but does this mean I will find it harder to reach interview stage based on my grades as I know Dundee rank on academia and ukcat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HateOCR)
    If OP sits the UKCAT in early summer they have 2 months to see their potential unis.
    Many open days clash with each other and they don't usually have open days in August. September is leaving is a bit too late as many colleges have their internal hand in date for medicine in September. Yes, they could see some in June and July but probably not all. In summer there is also more time to prepare soly for the ukcat/bmat without worrying about A levels too.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by gremzlin)
    Based on my GCSEs (3A*,3A,3B) , my experience (working in a GP surgery, volunteering at a hospice, week in a pharmacy) and having a range of extra curricular, which medical schools would i be best looking into so i know which admission test to sit later this year.
    The best thing for you to do now would be to go through each universities website and write down their requirements. I would put this into an excel spreadsheet or word document and then from their delete the ones you are unlikely to get an interview from based on your grades.
    --- For example I could say 100% rule out Cardiff, Oxford and Edinburgh.

Its hard to rule out most medical schools at this stage, because you havent sat the UKCAT. Most medical schools use a hollistic approach to scoring applicants pre-interview, taking into account both grades, extra-curriculars, work experience and entrance exams. Hence if you score very highly in the UKCAT you will be able to apply to places which look at both UKCAT and GCSEs with lower GCSE grades. but then if your UKCAT was poor you would avoid these places as your GCSEs are slightly below average compared to the normal medicine applicant. Hope that makes sense.

if there are particular things about certain universities you like (i.e. you mentioned you prefer small cohorts) then put a star by those and explain why you favour them. It may make it easier to make a decision of 4 schools when you come to choosing where to apply in September.

I will be honest with you though, without an above average UKCAT/BMAT your GCSE grades are really going to let you down. So I would try and work really hard after AS year is over to ace the UKCAT.

If you need anymore advice let me know.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If you have very strong academics post GCSE (i.e. you have high predicted grades in A-level, a very good academic reference, and likely would do very well in the BMAT) Cambridge may be a consideration, as they aren't as focused on GCSEs as e.g. Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    The best thing for you to do now would be to go through each universities website and write down their requirements. I would put this into an excel spreadsheet or word document and then from their delete the ones you are unlikely to get an interview from based on your grades.
    --- For example I could say 100% rule out Cardiff, Oxford and Edinburgh.

Its hard to rule out most medical schools at this stage, because you havent sat the UKCAT. Most medical schools use a hollistic approach to scoring applicants pre-interview, taking into account both grades, extra-curriculars, work experience and entrance exams. Hence if you score very highly in the UKCAT you will be able to apply to places which look at both UKCAT and GCSEs with lower GCSE grades. but then if your UKCAT was poor you would avoid these places as your GCSEs are slightly below average compared to the normal medicine applicant. Hope that makes sense.

if there are particular things about certain universities you like (i.e. you mentioned you prefer small cohorts) then put a star by those and explain why you favour them. It may make it easier to make a decision of 4 schools when you come to choosing where to apply in September.

I will be honest with you though, without an above average UKCAT/BMAT your GCSE grades are really going to let you down. So I would try and work really hard after AS year is over to ace the UKCAT.

If you need anymore advice let me know.
    Thanks for the advice! So what you're saying is, if don't achieve an above average UKCAT or BMAT and with my GCSE's maybe avoid applying somewhere like Dundee that ranks based on academia and UKCAT performance for interview and focus more on places that don't such as Keele. I'm hoping to spend a lot of time preparing for the UKCAT after my AS exams and then based on my performance consider the BMAT. I'm hoping that the experiences and extracurricular activities i have will boost my application.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by gremzlin)
    Thanks for the advice! So what you're saying is that due to my GCSE's, if i don't achieve an above average UKCAT or BMAT maybe avoid applying to a university like Dundee that rank based on academia and UKCAT for interview and focus more on those that don't such as Keele. I'm intending on spending a lot of time after my AS exams preparing for the UKCAT and depending on how it goes considering the BMAT.
    Thats exactly what im saying

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.