The Student Room Group

First time buyer - Which town/city would you recommend?

Scroll to see replies

If you want affordable and a lot going on then you will probably have to come up further North for the time being. My suggestions would be Manchester, Nottingham, Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield. Bristol would be great in my opinion if you do want to stay reasonably close to London. You could probably find somewhere decently priced.
Leicester could be good as well but never visited. Cardiff is also probably an alright choice but again never been.

Most of the places you listed are pretty dull and I think you will outgrow them quite quickly. I think you need to make this decision with your girlfriend though and actually visit places and look for jobs. Also could be worth considering renting for a year first before you actually buy. Just in case job situations change or you realise living in your chosen city isn't quite how you imagined. Although, from the cities I've suggested I don't think you'd have much issues with any them.
Original post by dylantombides
Which places do you not like from My list (no offence taken btw)?

If im honest I don't know much about Northern/Midland towns & cities.

I tend to prefer liberal, social, conservative places. Not sure which Northern cities meet that description? I also prefer the warmer weather in the southern although I guess it's probably just a few degrees colder higher up.

Which towns & cities would suit me based on all the info I wrote (also what would suit her - hopefully the same place)?!

I'm sort of in quite a niche industry for work (travel & tourism) and probably want to remain there so think options may pick itself a bit in terms of jobs & location.

Well, what actually attracts you to any of them? None of them are the size you specified, nor do any of them have as much to do as Bristol or Nottingham, let alone Birmingham or London. Being near Gatwick Airport is a minus not a plus unless you work at Gatwick Airport (and even then...). While I can see Croydon being a decent compromise for being close to London friends, Crawley would be a bridge too far for me. Maidstone is an hour on the train from central London. What would be the point? If you’re living in south eastern commuter towns, you’re going to be paying a premium to live there anyway so why not just move to Bristol and get the best of both worlds?
OK I've spent this evening doing quite a lot of research. It seems from the northern cities the 2 that would appeal to me most are Sheffield and Leeds.

Which would you recommend for me and my gf based on our criteria out of the 2 - Sheffield or Leeds?
OK I've spent this evening doing quite a lot of research. It seems from the northern cities the 2 that would appeal to me most are Sheffield and Leeds.

Which would you recommend for me and my gf based on our criteria out of the 2 - Sheffield or Leeds?

Have you or her ever visited either?

My recommendation would be to have this conversation with her. Nothing else matters.

I know both well - both are great places to live. What work are you both looking for? Sometimes places are cheap for a reason. Its far harder to find work in Sheffield than the South East.
Original post by trou_noir
Not sure whether it would be cheaper than Bristol or not.

Depends on how fussy you are about the neighbours.

Original post by ajj2000
Its far harder to find work in Sheffield than the South East.

It's dependant on what you have to offer.

Original post by Drewski
Have you or her ever visited either?

My recommendation would be to have this conversation with her. Nothing else matters.

Yep. Talk and visit places.
Original post by ajj2000
I know both well - both are great places to live. What work are you both looking for? Sometimes places are cheap for a reason. Its far harder to find work in Sheffield than the South East.

Good to hear. She's looking to find work In Geography (urban regenration, town planning, environmental consultancy or a coastal & marine resource manager) while for me marketing in travel & tourism.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 27
Depends how much you got to spend.
Original post by Maker
Depends how much you got to spend.

We aim to have around £30k saved up altogether between both of us when we move out (around this time next year hopefully).
We aim to have around £30k saved up altogether between both of us when we move out (around this time next year hopefully).

£30k would go a long way in either Leeds or Sheffield.
By the way I responded before because I have a passion for property and different areas. Nottingham looks like the best place for you, maybe have a visit one weekend. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.nottinghampost.com/news/property/heres-outlook-nottingham-property-market-733717.amp
Original post by showaeski
If you want affordable and a lot going on then you will probably have to come up further North for the time being. My suggestions would be Manchester, Nottingham, Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield. Bristol would be great in my opinion if you do want to stay reasonably close to London. You could probably find somewhere decently priced. Leicester could be good as well but never visited. Cardiff is also probably an alright choice but again never been. Most of the places you listed are pretty dull and I think you will outgrow them quite quickly. I think you need to make this decision with your girlfriend though and actually visit places and look for jobs. Also could be worth considering renting for a year first before you actually buy. Just in case job situations change or you realise living in your chosen city isn't quite how you imagined. Although, from the cities I've suggested I don't think you'd have much issues with any them.
Original post by MY_NAME_IS_JEFF1
By the way I responded before because I have a passion for property and different areas. Nottingham looks like the best place for you, maybe have a visit one weekend. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.nottinghampost.com/news/property/heres-outlook-nottingham-property-market-733717.amp
Original post by MY_NAME_IS_JEFF1
Nottingham? I don't live there but that sounds like the perfect compromise for you both.
Original post by trou_noir
I would agree you should see where you can actually find jobs first and then move. I’m not sure I see the attraction of most of the places in your list, apart from that they are relatively close to London. But it’s going to take you almost as long to get to central London from Crawley as it will from, say, Leicester by train. Have you looked at cities like Sheffield, Nottingham, Manchester? The housing market in the latter in particular seems to be what you are looking for. Manchester has about half a million people and tons to do, although may be on the large side for you. There’s plenty of graduate jobs. Not sure whether it would be cheaper than Bristol or not.
Original post by MiszshorTea786
OP, to be honest those are very dull places to reside in. The only two I would go for is crawley and Nottingham. Ive heard bath is good too.

Quite a few people have mentioned Nottingham. From our point of view why would it be so good and would you say its a better option that Leeds and/or Sheffield for us?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest