The Student Room Group

A Levels And Their Effect

A couple of days ago, I was told by my deputy headteacher that there is about a 90% chance that Graphics won't be offered at A Level this year. The issue is that I wanted to study Animation, Graphic Design, or something along those lines, in university. My dream has been to become an animator for a long time now.

I was just wondering if not doing the A Level is going to have a large effect on being able to pursue the subject as a career later in my life? Does anyone have any experience with something similar?
From what I have seen. When A-levels drop courses, University's take it into account. When applying for Uni it to do your desired course if that course is not in A level it does not effect your chances.
If for example you took an art instead of graphics as long as you have the ability they won't mind.

hope this helps
Reply 2
Original post by Bethwood16
From what I have seen. When A-levels drop courses, University's take it into account. When applying for Uni it to do your desired course if that course is not in A level it does not effect your chances.
If for example you took an art instead of graphics as long as you have the ability they won't mind.

hope this helps

Thank you for the reply (:

I'm taking History, Government and Politics, and Music. Hopefully they'll take it into account since I'm not doing Fine Art or anything.
Look up the requirements for unis or check with them personally! Some do require Art or at least a portfolio off the top of my head.
Original post by rainy-days

I'm taking History, Government and Politics, and Music. Hopefully they'll take it into account since I'm not doing Fine Art or anything.

Also remember that some Unis may want a portfolio or to see some past projects rather than looking purl at your grades.

no problem

If you’re not taking an art and design subject then you’ll have to provide a portfolio of artwork. That’s going to require a lot of your free time.

Even then for some degrees (both graphic design and animation are normally very selective degrees) you will be competing against applicants with both art/graphics A levels AND a foundation diploma. That means you may well be advised to take a foundation diploma by many of your choices. FAD courses are FE which means you apply directly - so you could apply to both FAD courses and degrees at the same time to maximise your chances.
A couple of days ago, I was told by my deputy headteacher that there is about a 90% chance that Graphics won't be offered at A Level this year. The issue is that I wanted to study Animation, Graphic Design, or something along those lines, in university. My dream has been to become an animator for a long time now.

I was just wondering if not doing the A Level is going to have a large effect on being able to pursue the subject as a career later in my life? Does anyone have any experience with something similar?

Hi rainy-days

I thought you would like to hear about Ravensbourne and the courses we offer. we have a Pre Foundation course which you will be able to explore different courses within it such as graphic design, animation, photograph, broadcasting and film disciplines.

As a Ravensbourne student that has done a foundation course before I could say that It really helped me design what BA course I wanted to do, this was thanks to the different courses I managed to explore within my foundation course. By the end of the course, I left with a strong portfolio and with a clear decision of where I wanted to go next.

if you're interested, you could come along to one of our open days, then you’ll be able to talk to the tutors of the course and also look at the other courses we offer. we offer free portfolio and showreel workshops at the open days so it would be a good chance to come along.

I hope this was helpful and good luck with everything,

Katy:h:

Quick Reply

Latest