Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Does universities really follow course desription watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am close to angry state. You see my university is not a best place. They willing to do anything just so students stayed, even if it means leaving bad student that should have been undergoing expulsion. At least I thought that they give me full course material I deserve but It turns out , that they teach only half of what is written at course descriptions. Is it common practice for Universities to miss

ReputationRep:
    what exactly is course description you are referring to
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    LONG ANSWER:The course description is a document that shows all subjects(known in document as courses or classes) in programme. In addition it gives information of each course/class about prerequirements, number of each course/class ECTS credict given, what theory/methods/material will be taught, what skills and knowledge must posses student if he succesfully passed

SHORT ANSWER
    it is a document that shows what theory/material will be in your programme.

Example

lets take Business Management bachelor degree programme. And you will most likely see there classes/courses like: basics of managements, theory of Currency, macroeconomics, exc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ripian)
    LONG ANSWER:The course description is a document that shows all subjects(known in document as courses or classes) in programme. In addition it gives information of each course/class about prerequirements, number of each course/class ECTS credict given, what theory/methods/material will be taught, what skills and knowledge must posses student if he succesfully passed

SHORT ANSWER
    it is a document that shows what theory/material will be in your programme.

Example

lets take Business Management bachelor degree programme. And you will most likely see there classes/courses like: basics of managements, theory of Currency, macroeconomics, exc.
    I'd like to see an example of this so i know what 'they teach only half' means
    But as far as i am aware they will have to follow thier own descripition, as for reading materials; they will not give that you but they should give a list of books that might help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ripian)
    Is it common practice for Universities to miss
    ...parts of the module description? No. The course may change from year to year for a variety of reasons, but the changes should be reflected in the new course materials.

ReputationRep:
    Most universities will skim over and introduce a topic to you and then require you to fill in the blanks for yourself through some self directed learning. Sometimes this can feel like you haven’t been taught something and that can be the case because you were required to look it up for yourself. If this is what you’re referring to then you would need to settle down and prepare yourself to be looking up your own material a lot more often!

On the other hand if your university is directly not touching topics listed in the module description/course description, then I may be worried. If I was you I would clarify with the lecturer(s) in question first of all and if you’ve not received an adequate answer, speak to the course director.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2018
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.