The Student Room Group

How to do Christianity :)

Want to see how Christian churches meet, we're not dead were very much alive and growing.

7-8,000 Christians (from one church !!!!!) will be gathering for a weeks holiday in July. Focus is Holy Trinity's church week away, I went in 2016 it was fab.

[video="youtube;H-Ii1Ry7ZtQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Ii1Ry7ZtQ[/video]

.... the video clip goes on to show the churches leadership conference, filling The Royal Albert Hall and another venue in lond0n on the same day
Christianity is tough man. I've been trying to wrap my head around It for some time, and i write stuff down, but just when i think ive got something figured out, I think I've nailed the meaning of something, I think of something else, this goes on ad infinitum, its like a never ending impossible conundrum that can then become a spiritual torment! :s-smilie:

I.E. Praus, greek for meek, the meaning can be construed in so many ways....ugh.....'the meek shall inherit the earth'

You look at the english synonyms, the original greek, various interpretations.......etc, etc.....

[Im not asking for clarification. So dont try and give it to me please] Just making a personal observation.

I wasnt raised to be religious at all. But did have a very real religious experience, when I was not looking for it at all, which can only be described as transcendent. [No I wont share it on here, thankyou very much.]
Unconditional Love. Thats what God is. I dont know why I find it so very scary. Thats the last thing I should feel. Im too damned stubborn to give myself over to something, even after witnessing something first hand which was very rare, and very real which left me 'agape' completely dumbfounded. [21 years ago] I feel embarrassed to even post this. But I cannot deny it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by OldishStudent
Christianity is tough man. I've been trying to wrap my head around It for some time, and i write stuff down, but just when i think ive got something figured out, I think I've nailed the meaning of something, I think of something else, this goes on ad infinitum, its like a never ending impossible conundrum that can then become a spiritual torment! :s-smilie:

I.E. Praus, greek for meek, the meaning can be construed in so many ways....ugh.....'the meek shall inherit the earth'

You look at the english synonyms, the original greek, various interpretations.......etc, etc.....

[Im not asking for clarification. So dont try and give it to me please] Just making a personal observation.

The message of Christianity is a very simple.

It's summed up in one verse.

....that everyone who believes in Him may have eternal life. For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that everyone who believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him.… John 3 v 16
Right......oh no... I guess I better post this. How weird is this?

I read racoons response. I thought about it for a second. And it popped into my head, to google 'god called me and i ignored it.' so I did do. Im bored. Ok?

There were over 3 million google results. I randomly without thought, scrolled down and clicked on one completely randomly.
Page opens. First thing I read is this:

"One of the things we discussed during class was what happens when a person does not take up the mantle. When a person gets a spiritual calling and does not heed to the call. I explained things expressed upon the stubborn and unwilling person who chooses not to follow their path. Often this can manifest into a physical illness upon the person, specifically one major illness which science to date cannot understand."

I was diagnosed with a very rare illness, in 2010. Affects 1 in 10,000 people in the UK. [Sarcoidosis.]
Nobody knows the cause of [my disease,]

Been through hell with it. Terrible illness with awful side effects.
[To be classified as a rare illness, the NHS says it has to be at least 1 in 500.]

If thats not bad enough.....

The chances of my disease progressing to its end stage, [post stage 4] pulmonary fibrosis, is 2-4% of the 1 in 10,000.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Right......oh no... I guess I better post this. How weird is this?

I read racoons response. I thought about it for a second. And it popped into my head, to google 'god called me and i ignored it.' so I did do. Im bored. Ok?

There were over 3 million google results. I randomly without thought, scrolled down and clicked on one completely randomly.
Page opens. First thing I read is this:

"One of the things we discussed during class was what happens when a person does not take up the mantle. When a person gets a spiritual calling and does not heed to the call. I explained things expressed upon the stubborn and unwilling person who chooses not to follow their path. Often this can manifest into a physical illness upon the person, specifically one major illness which science to date cannot understand."

I was diagnosed with a very rare illness, in 2010. Affects 1 in 10,000 people in the UK. They do not know the cause of this disease. [Sarcoidosis.] Been through hell with it. Terrible illness with awful side effects.
[To be classified as a rare illness, the NHS says it has to be at least 1 in 500.]

If thats not bad enough.....

The chances of my disease progressing to its end stage, [post stage 4] pulmonary fibrosis, is 2-4% of the 1 in 10,000. So I havent done the math, but Im like one in a million or something stupidly ridiculous.

I mean, WTF............:s-smilie:................should I even be sharing this with a bunch of strangers, mainly kids on a forum?!?!?!

Maybe I should start going to church or something?

I'm sorry to read you suffer with this rare disease Sarcoidosis, it sounds like you have had it tough.

What do you think you should do with regard to this thing that happened years ago, this very real religious experience?
No idea. I havent done anything about it. I mean, what am I supposed to do with that?!!!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
No idea. I havent done anything about it. I mean, what am I supposed to do with that?!!!!

Maybe it's time.
Ok. Maybe youre right. I find this very difficult to get to grips with. I dont even know any christians. Anyway, sorry for derailing your thread. Im going to have to go to church. At least give it a go. [I cannot emphasise enough how real the experience was.] And stop procrastinating. It scares me though. And believe me, not much does....Thankyou. Bye. [This is completely embarrassing]
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Ok. Maybe youre right. I find this very difficult to get to grips with. anyway, sorry for derailing your thread. Im going to have to go to church. At least give it a go. [I cannot emphasise how real the experience was.] and stop procrastinating. Thankyou. Bye.

It's ok, you haven't derailed it, you've made it more relevant.

If you don't mind me saying, it might be good to try and go to a church that is more alive to spiritual things. I know this might sound odd, but some churches don't fully operate in what's called the moving of the Holy Spirit of God. I'm talking about the prophetic and visions. I think this might be more what you've experienced.

God Bless you.
its accepting the lord in your heart as your lord and saviour (jesus) gods son whom he gave to die for your sins. We all sin and must ask god for forgiveness.. However this doesnt give us an excuse to sin, we still need to do our best to serve the lord and lead a decent life.
Im Pm-ing you Racoon.

No Im not, I cant figure out how to. How Do I PM you? TY.

@Realitysreflex. Exactly. Ive sinned my head off. So I'd be a complete hypocrite.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Im Pm-ing you.

Sure, ok.
Im rather confused, apologies for the swearing. I'll sort it out...
Reply 13
Original post by Realitysreflexx
its accepting the lord in your heart as your lord and saviour (jesus) gods son whom he gave to die for your sins. We all sin and must ask god for forgiveness.. However this doesnt give us an excuse to sin, we still need to do our best to serve the lord and lead a decent life.

Hi there, high five!!!!

I love that verse in Romans which says 'None is righteous, no, not one' and then we know 'for all have sinned and fallen short...'

If we relied on our own righteousness there'd be no need for Jesus.

Like you said, we try to do our best but not a day goes by without us sinning 'in thought in word and in deed' but the grace of God covers that sin and we stand behind Jesus and his blood shed on the cross, who is perfect in God's sight.

God bless you:smile:
Deus Vult and do the crusades :cool:
Original post by Racoon
The message of Christianity is a very simple.

It's summed up in one verse.

....that everyone who believes in Him may have eternal life. For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that everyone who believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him.… John 3 v 16

This is amazing. Thanks for sharing Racoon! God bless ya
Reply 16
Original post by PhysioStudent437
This is amazing. Thanks for sharing Racoon! God bless ya

Aww thank you

Quick Reply

Latest