The Student Room Group

I am considering dropping out

Hello guys.

I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask for advice but I am desperate. I don't know where should I ask for help and this is the only place I can think of. My parents don't take me seriously ("What are u on about? Leave me alone I'm after a 10 hours shift!").

So I am currently studying MComp Computer Science course.

MComp is basically a BSc Computer science + 1 extra year.

In my first 3 years (BSc Comp Sci equivalent) I got a 2.1 classification which I am happy about.

This year (4th) I am doing OK so far, I've finished 2 modules and got decent grades (75% and 73% averages).

I still have 2 modules left + my team project.

I am afraid that I won't get a good grade for my paper review and my team project.

Now here's the problem:

My friend told me (and my lecturer unofficially confirmed) that a 2.2 in MComp will be worse on my CV than a 2.1 BSc.

I have serious suspicions that I might get as low as 2.2 this year and I am extremely anxious about wasting a year on a degree that will actually reduce my chances of employment...

If I dropped out now, I would have a guaranteed BSc Computer Science with a 2.1 classification which is enough to get a good job.

I would continue with this year and see what grade can I get in the end, but I am afraid of getting a 2.2 and have no way back to my BSc 2.1

I really don't know what to do or who to talk to about this...
Hey, I don’t understand any of this since I am in Year 9 but don’t drop out! Everything turns out okay in the end xx
Honestly, if you're getting 70% in your modules now its really unlikely your classification will drop to a 2:2. How high was your BSc 2:1.

If you're certain you're gonna get a 2.2, you might aswell drop out. You've already got your degree sorted. If you want a masters you can always go back and get an MSc.
Reply 3
I was getting 70's in my previous modules because they were programming modules, and I am really good at that. The modules I have left now are both writing-based (I have to write 2 essays and a paper review) and I am horrible at it, which is why I am seriously afraid of getting a 2.2.

Original post by rickyrossman

If you're certain you're gonna get a 2.2, you might aswell drop out. You've already got your degree sorted. If you want a masters you can always go back and get an MSc.

That's what I was thinking too.

Do you know what's the situation with student finance if I drop out? Out of all the grants and loans that I've received this term (I got about £1800 total) I only have £400 left and it has to last me until next month (I already have a new job).

I understand that I would have to pay some of the maintenance loans and grants. Would I be able to do so over time in installments?
Original post by Mac.mac
I was getting 70's in my previous modules because they were programming modules, and I am really good at that. The modules I have left now are both writing-based (I have to write 2 essays and a paper review) and I am horrible at it, which is why I am seriously afraid of getting a 2.2.

That's what I was thinking too.

Do you know what's the situation with student finance if I drop out? Out of all the grants and loans that I've received this term (I got about £1800 total) I only have £400 left and it has to last me until next month (I already have a new job).

I understand that I would have to pay some of the maintenance loans and grants. Would I be able to do so over time in installments?

Student loans aren't worth worrying about. You only pay a little back when you get your first software engineering job. By the time you're 50 it will be wiped off. If for some reason you stop working, the repayments stop. They aren't real debt.
Reply 5
Student loans aren't worth worrying about. You only pay a little back when you get your first software engineering job. By the time you're 50 it will be wiped off. If for some reason you stop working, the repayments stop. They aren't real debt.

I am not worrying about re-paying my student loan the standard way, because I already have a new job (starting next month) but I am afraid of having to pay-back the money I got for this term because I don't have enough to do it in one go and I'd have to pay it in installments or at least split into 2-3 parts...

But I don't know if student finance wales allows that.
Original post by Mac.mac
I am not worrying about re-paying my student loan the standard way, because I already have a new job (starting next month) but I am afraid of having to pay-back the money I got for this term because I don't have enough to do it in one go and I'd have to pay it in installments or at least split into 2-3 parts...

But I don't know if student finance wales allows that.

Ugh I thought it just gets added onto your total student loan. I don't think you'd have to pay it back straight away. You'd probably be best phoning SFW tomorrow.
Reply 7
Ugh I thought it just gets added onto your total student loan. I don't think you'd have to pay it back straight away. You'd probably be best phoning SFW tomorrow.

I know that the maintenance loan just gets added and I don't have to do anything special about it, but I've heard that maintenance grant has to be paid back "manually", based on the % of the course completion.

I just found this on their website:

We’ll send you a letter to confirm the amount and ask you to contact us to make an arrangement to repay this in a way which is affordable for you. Any plan agreed will be based on your circumstances.

I guess that answers my question.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending