Turn on thread page Beta

which is the main reason I should put as wanting to study medicine? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have many reasons I really want to study medicine but I dont want to just list them in my personal statement i rather write the main one and talk about the rest in the interview but which of the reasons I want to study medicine should be the one I put on my personal statement

I love enjoy science and empathetic environments I am also really fascinated in psychology and want to become a psychiatrist

I want a career were I can keep learning I like studying in a fast pace environment where I can talk to people I love talking to people and listen I to what they have to say.

in work experience, volunteer in and courses I really have understood the role of a doctor and really thought the lifestyle of pioneering along side new innovations in health-care was a career I wanted to pursue

or I've seen people struggle with mental health and close family struggling with physical health so I was exposed to this side of care from a young age which has inspired me into going into a career of care.

is there a way I can fit it all in my personal statement or should I write some reasons and go into more detail in the interview if I get one? obviously I would write them exactly like this but how do I show all the reasons I want to study medicine?

any help appreciated,

thanx
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm an applicant for 2018 entry.

I'd literally make it the first thing you say, get the why medicine bit done in your intro. Make sure to make it personal - everyone applying likes the science behind it! You want to stand out.

Try to think of what exactly has inspired you (maybe a particular memory of work experience or an event that's affected you personally) - I'd definitely go into detail here, but if it is a difficult personal event (such as talking about family) please don't feel you have to be open if you're not comfortable with it. My particular "spark" moment was during work experience, so I wrote about that. I like the bit about the listening, make sure to back it up with experience!

I would avoid saying you want to go into psychiatry in particular. Say you're interested in it by all means, but you don't want to seem unwilling to be flexible, as you will probably change your mind a lot during your degree and when you start work.

My statement was 2/3 what I've learned from experience/ volunteering and in that I wrote all about what I'd learned and the qualities I feel I've developed etc. The why medicine bit should be relatively short.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by westcw13)
    Hi! I'm an applicant for 2018 entry.

I'd literally make it the first thing you say, get the why medicine bit done in your intro. Make sure to make it personal - everyone applying likes the science behind it! You want to stand out.

Try to think of what exactly has inspired you (maybe a particular memory of work experience or an event that's affected you personally) - I'd definitely go into detail here, but if it is a difficult personal event (such as talking about family) please don't feel you have to be open if you're not comfortable with it. My particular "spark" moment was during work experience, so I wrote about that. I like the bit about the listening, make sure to back it up with experience!

I would avoid saying you want to go into psychiatry in particular. Say you're interested in it by all means, but you don't want to seem unwilling to be flexible, as you will probably change your mind a lot during your degree and when you start work.

My statement was 2/3 what I've learned from experience/ volunteering and in that I wrote all about what I'd learned and the qualities I feel I've developed etc. The why medicine bit should be relatively short.

Hope that helps!
    thanks I really appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saarahtalha)
    I have many reasons I really want to study medicine but I dont want to just list them in my personal statement i rather write the main one and talk about the rest in the interview but which of the reasons I want to study medicine should be the one I put on my personal statement
    Think about what you really liked doing in your work placements. Then write about that.

I love enjoy science and empathetic environments I am also really fascinated in psychology and want to become a psychiatrist
    I bet the interviewers will ask you 'why not do psychology?' I think that once you get into medical school and you do more and more hospital placements you'll be interested in a different speciality. I've heard that most medical students change their mind about specialities they like once they start their clinical years.

I want a career were I can keep learning I like studying in a fast pace environment where I can talk to people I love talking to people and listen I to what they have to say.
    Yeah thats good, but don't over exaggerate it because some specialities can be incredibly fast-paced and stressful like EM. Also, some specialities don't interact with people that much. Pathologists for example.

in work experience, volunteer in and courses I really have understood the role of a doctor and really thought the lifestyle of pioneering along side new innovations in health-care was a career I wanted to pursue
    That sounds more like a career in academic medicine. But make sure you make it convincing that you fully understand the role of a doctor.

or I've seen people struggle with mental health and close family struggling with physical health so I was exposed to this side of care from a young age which has inspired me into going into a career of care.
    I can relate to this. I grew up around very sick grandparents and I'd want to give something back to the community and the NHS.

is there a way I can fit it all in my personal statement or should I write some reasons and go into more detail in the interview if I get one? obviously I would write them exactly like this but how do I show all the reasons I want to study medicine?
    Have a look at MedicPortal. Also ask if your friends of friends, or teachers, if they know anyone who got accepted into medical school. You can look at how they structured their personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    I really appreciate all your help thanks so much I will take your advice

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.