The Student Room Group

Foundation medicine and a levels

Hi everyone. I would like to apply for a medicine foundation course but it has taken me 3 years to complete my a levels.

The first year had chem, bio and history, the second year is now eng lit, history, politics (continued on till next year).

Will it a be a problem that I have previously taken subjects that meet the medicine entry requirements? That year was filled with health issues and I haven't actually completed them as A levels. Do you think this will inhibit my ability to apply for a foundation medicine course?
Original post by indy1999
Hi everyone. I would like to apply for a medicine foundation course but it has taken me 3 years to complete my a levels.

The first year had chem, bio and history, the second year is now eng lit, history, politics (continued on till next year).

Will it a be a problem that I have previously taken subjects that meet the medicine entry requirements? That year was filled with health issues and I haven't actually completed them as A levels. Do you think this will inhibit my ability to apply for a foundation medicine course?

It depends on the level of your qualifications and what you got. You say you did chem, bio and history, was that to AS level? Did you get AAA? If you don't have a level chem at A2 then your choices are really limited
Reply 2
Original post by HamedxAli
It depends on the level of your qualifications and what you got. You say you did chem, bio and history, was that to AS level? Did you get AAA? If you don't have a level chem at A2 then your choices are really limited

I did them as AS levels but as I said I had health issues and due to that I didn't attain AAA. Instead I've decided to restart and change subjects but I am regretting that decision already - which is why I was wondering if I could apply for a foundation year of medicine as I know some uni's let people with the wrong subjects to do medicine under the foundation year scheme.
I did them as AS levels but as I said I had health issues and due to that I didn't attain AAA. Instead I've decided to restart and change subjects but I am regretting that decision already - which is why I was wondering if I could apply for a foundation year of medicine as I know some uni's let people with the wrong subjects to do medicine under the foundation year scheme.

Cardiff is the only university that I'm aware of that offers a foundation course for students who don't take bio/chem. Maybe look at their selection criteria
(edited 6 years ago)

I think there are only 11 foundation courses, so you are going to have to check through and see where your subjects are applicable. Different and non biochem I dont think is the issue, but you appear t have done History in your first and second set i.e taken 3 years.

I am concerned they will see that as a resit.

It is unclear what your health problems were, but I suggest if they were serious, then you get a supporting letter from your GP and then make informal enquiries to the schools about your exact situation to see if they have any issues in considering you.
Reply 5
Original post by HamedxAli
Cardiff is the only university that I'm aware of that offers a foundation course for students who don't take bio/chem. Maybe look at their selection criteria

I see okay, thank you
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
I think there are only 11 foundation courses, so you are going to have to check through and see where your subjects are applicable. Different and non biochem I dont think is the issue, but you appear t have done History in your first and second set i.e taken 3 years.

I am concerned they will see that as a resit.

It is unclear what your health problems were, but I suggest if they were serious, then you get a supporting letter from your GP and then make informal enquiries to the schools about your exact situation to see if they have any issues in considering you.

I have been thinking the same thing about history. I think a letter from my GP would be wise and a call to the Unis too. Thank you for the suggestions.
Reply 7
I see okay, thank you

There are other universities that do this course, you can find all the requirements here:

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2032/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

As you have potential extenuating circumstances, I would definitely contact the universities that you're interested in directly.
Reply 8
Original post by ax12
There are other universities that do this course, you can find all the requirements here:

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2032/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

As you have potential extenuating circumstances, I would definitely contact the universities that you're interested in directly.

Ah thank you so much for the link, I will do that, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending