Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Bristol v Nottingham for Law watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. Being from nottingham, I'd like to move away for uni, however living costs in bristol seem a little high.
    However I am drawn to bristol because I visited last year and the city is beautiful. Am I right in believing they're considered roughly equal by law firms? However bristol is slightly better regarded overall?
    Also, if anyone is studying law at either, opinions on whether you like the course (structure etc) would be helpful
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlitterandGold-x)
    I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. Being from nottingham, I'd like to move away for uni, however living costs in bristol seem a little high.
    However I am drawn to bristol because I visited last year and the city is beautiful. Am I right in believing they're considered roughly equal by law firms? However bristol is slightly better regarded overall?
    Also, if anyone is studying law at either, opinions on whether you like the course (structure etc) would be helpful
    Probably a slightly better reputation in the UK but really not much difference. I think it'll be great to move away for uni, you'll become so much more independent and it's a really good experience living in a new city. Bristol is such a cool place as well with top quality nightlife.
    If you stayed in Nottingham would you live at home or in halls?
    Bristol is a reasonably expensive place to live but I think it's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blawan)
    Probably a slightly better reputation in the UK but really not much difference. I think it'll be great to move away for uni, you'll become so much more independent and it's a really good experience living in a new city. Bristol is such a cool place as well with top quality nightlife.
    If you stayed in Nottingham would you live at home or in halls?
    Bristol is a reasonably expensive place to live but I think it's worth it.
    I was leaning 60/40 towards bristol before making this post, however my parents are pushing for me to stay. I plan to live at home if I study at nottingham tho. Think i need to do a bit of research on course structures for both, and see which i think would i'm a better 'fit' for. Thanks for replying.

ReputationRep:
    I was leaning 60/40 towards bristol before making this post, however my parents are pushing for me to stay. I plan to live at home if I study at nottingham tho. Think i need to do a bit of research on course structures for both, and see which i think would i'm a better 'fit' for. Thanks for replying.
    Parents are often like that but you can't let them influence you too much. I'm sure ultimately they'd rather you gained independence and prepared yourself for adult life. I think you'll have a far better time if you move away for uni. So good living with friends and being able to have people over whenever you want and just generally having more freedom. Depends how important a good social life is to you though. If you want to have lots of fun and really grow as a person I'd say Bristol. If money and getting a first is most important and you're not too bothered about going out much then stick with Nottingham.
    But yeah look at the courses as well.

ReputationRep:
    Difference in reputation won't matter. Saving a few thousand pounds on rent does.

On the matter of courses, Bristol has a remarkably tough first year, but with 14% of the graduating cohort getting a First (and 18% getting a 2:2). Notts seems to be stricter - 12% Firsts, 23% 2:2s (welp).

Do also consider the environment you want to be living in. Notts is a concrete shithole full of homeless people. Bristol is plain lovely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    Difference in reputation won't matter. Saving a few thousand pounds on rent does.

On the matter of courses, Bristol has a remarkably tough first year, but with 14% of the graduating cohort getting a First (and 18% getting a 2:2). Notts seems to be stricter - 12% Firsts, 23% 2:2s (welp).

Do also consider the environment you want to be living in. Notts is a concrete shithole full of homeless people. Bristol is plain lovely.
    Agreed. Bristol is quite a beautiful location. And with the hill, the resultant glutes are miraculous.

Thanks in advance
    There is no significant advantage at either in terms of rep. You should consider course content (most law courses are similar) and scholarships. While Bristol might be more expensive, spending 3 years at home (as an adult) can be an ordeal. Bristol is a nice vibrant city that you will have all the freedom to explore; that should not be dismissed lightly simply cos you might spend a couple hundred quid more a year in Bristol vs Notts.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.