Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, this is my first post here so thankz for paying me attention. I applied late for uni because I was going to take a year off but wrote a personal statement to gauge my interests and ended up applying. I've accepted an offer from KCL for grades AAA but it just occurred to me that I might reapply for oxbridge with those grades.

I didn't apply before because, well, I'd missed the deadlines but also just because i didn't think it would be my scene tbh. However now I've realised in myself I want the best possible education; I want to go to uni to read and to learn to speak, not really to party

Has anyone done anything similar? could I defer entry and apply for oxford, then take the king's place if not? otherwise are kings likely to take me back? basically I'm just looking for personal experience or anything. Sorry for all this info I'm forming these thoughts for the first time as i type haha, thanks

edit: not that KCL isn't an amazing uni just that oxford is a step above the rest, from what i've seen at open days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skrtuser18)
    Hi, this is my first post here so thankz for paying me attention. I applied late for uni because I was going to take a year off but wrote a personal statement to gauge my interests and ended up applying. I've accepted an offer from KCL for grades AAA but it just occurred to me that I might reapply for oxbridge with those grades.

I didn't apply before because, well, I'd missed the deadlines but also just because i didn't think it would be my scene tbh. However now I've realised in myself I want the best possible education; I want to go to uni to read and to learn to speak, not really to party

Has anyone done anything similar? could I defer entry and apply for oxford, then take the king's place if not? otherwise are kings likely to take me back? basically I'm just looking for personal experience or anything. Sorry for all this info I'm forming these thoughts for the first time as i type haha, thanks
    You can't hold your King's place while applying again after a gap year. However, if you reapply there with grades which meet or exceed their requirements they are extremely unlikely to reject you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I've accepted an offer from KCL for grades AAA but it just occurred to me that I might reapply for oxbridge with those grades.
    For which course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    For which course?
    Liberal arts, which is a mixture of humanities subjects with a major in any particular one you decide in first year. If I were to apply for oxbridge it would likely be a joint honours of any two of: english, history, philosophy, or possibly politics

(i would have decided properly by the time it came to apply again when I've had more free time to read)
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Liberal arts, which is a mixture of humanities subjects with a major in any particular one you decide in first year. If I were to apply for oxbridge it would likely be a joint honours of any two of: english, history, philosophy, or possibly politics
    It has an 88% offer so as ageshallnot indicated you would be reasonably likely to get another KCL offer
    https://university.which.co.uk/kings...ears-9250-lp99

If you don't mind the gap year, and the distinct possibly of not getting an Oxford offer then go for it

PS. It's Oxford, not Oxbridge. Cambridge doesn't have the same range of joint honours and requires A*AA for humanities. Although it does have History & Politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    It has an 88% offer so as ageshallnot indicated you would be reasonably likely to get another KCL offer
    https://university.which.co.uk/kings...ears-9250-lp99

If you don't mind the gap year, and the distinct possibly of not getting an Oxford offer then go for it

PS. It's Oxford, not Oxbridge. Cambridge doesn't have the same range of joint honours and requires A*AA for humanities. Although it does have History & Politics.
    Ah thanks thats very useful. Definitely a possibility of not getting an offer, still got a long way to go for the grades!

And yeah I've only thought about this for about half an hour and only looked at oxford! I've been oxford a few times and it seems more attractive to me for whatever reason but hadn't looked at cambridge at all so didn't want to rule it out even just in this post

anyway cheers for helping
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Ah thanks thats very useful. Definitely a possibility of not getting an offer, still got a long way to go for the grades!

And yeah I've only thought about this for about half an hour and only looked at oxford! I've been oxford a few times and it seems more attractive to me for whatever reason but hadn't looked at cambridge at all so didn't want to rule it out even just in this post

anyway cheers for helping
    No worries see how those grades go on results day and then decide.

By the way, Cambridge have a telephone advice service on results day for potential post A-level applicants. It's provided by Christ's College (but you can then apply to any college). Details will be in the University of Cambridge forum nearer the day

And here's more on HisPol : https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....y-and-politics

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.