Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    Yes, I think it is a sexist and hypocritical ideology.
    I think the basis of it is fair. Equal rights for both sexes so that one doesn't oppress the other. Equal right to vote, take part in discussions.. etc. But what it's turned into now, yes hypocritical for sure. Esp them extreme ones that literally want all men to die :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Water)
    That’s good. No one else usually does. Yes it was Prison Break.
    Hahaha can never forget a fellow Prison Break fan. Did you watch that last season btw? It was really good i think!

ReputationRep:
    I don't like how some women actually make women's lives harder, e.g. ignoring the biological differences between men and women. The important aspect of feminism should be the choice to do what we want. 10% of women (myself included) suffer from endometriosis though, and another proportion of the female population suffer from other forms of pelvic pain. Ignoring this only makes it harder to survive as a woman in the workplace.

Also, things aren't black and white. Men historically have done the hard, dangerous jobs such as going down into mines, fighting in wars. In many countries men are still conscripted, e.g. Israel, South Korea. Men too are encouraged by society to hold back their tears and bottle up emotions, something we women are permitted to do.

I think gender quality is important, but perhaps feminism is an outdated word with too much baggage; we should be fighting for human rights, not just female rights. In developing countries the patriarchy is more of an issue than it is in the UK, Saudi Arabia and Colombia for example, and Uzbekistan where forced sterilisation sometimes happens.

Some of the current issues faced by women in the UK:

-Pressure to where makeup and dress well. Wearing makeup is a choice, but not when external circumstances make it a matter of survival e.g. looking better than the next woman might get you that dream job during the interview.

-Mansplaining. Condescending language is often still a problem, but of course not all men are at fault--more common in older generations.

-Not being taken seriously. As a young-looking woman I sometimes feel people do not take me seriously regardless of my degree, work experience etc.

-Lack of funding in the NHS towards female conditions such as endometriosis, adenomyosis--idea we should just live with these.

-Female responsibility to take the pill with its many adverse side effects.

-Unequal pay. Men still earn more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    I absolutely detest the extreme variant of modern feminism that's on the rise. Pure idiocy. As for equality among the sexes i.e. what feminism actually is? Sign me right up.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

ReputationRep:
    Another inspired thread that absolutely hasn't been done to death before.

ReputationRep:
    I believe this thread has been made roughly 4000 times before on here.

ReputationRep:
    I'm fairly indifferent to it.

Although I do particularly enjoy the capacity of feminism to rile up a certain type of man with far too much free time and/or who likes to blame feminism for his sexual ineptitude. See the dozens of recent threads on feminism for evidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DabThruUni)
    Hahaha can never forget a fellow Prison Break fan. Did you watch that last season btw? It was really good i think!
    Sorry for the late reply. Yeah I watched the last season but apparently they’re making another one.

ReputationRep:
    I mean, as a woman I am all for equal rights between men and women.. but I just feel like feminists nowadays just take it to a whole new level and want to be above men rather than equal. And if that's the case then it makes them just as bad as the oppressive men the original feminists from back in the days were trying to fight. When feminism started off, it was all about having a say, having the right to vote or work or drive etc. Now? You tell me.
    Well I'm a man but yeah I hate it I'm all for equal rights but the women who say we should have more rights then men they can GTFO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    Another inspired thread that absolutely hasn't been done to death before.
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    I believe this thread has been made roughly 4000 times before on here.
    Seeing as I haven't been on here in a while, this is the first for me. Feel free to ignore this thread of you don't like it

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as I haven't been on here in a while, this is the first for me. Feel free to ignore this thread of you don't like it
    Even a cursory glance over the debate sections would see this thread repeated ad nauseum. Nevertheless, knock yourself out.

ReputationRep:
    i find third wave feminism quite stupid nowadays. yes, by definition its for men and woman to be equal, but that is not what feminists advocate for anymore.

Now, there are rights and things that woman have over men, such as as a woman i will almost always win custody over children in a divorce case because of the laws. as a woman i will get half the prison sentence a man does for the same crime just because of the fact that woman are assumed caregivers for children. as a woman there is a 2:1 that i will get a job over a man in the STEM jobs even if we have the exact same qualifications and the same relationship status.

in the U.S., less than 1 in 4 woman claim to be feminists with only 85% of them believe in equality of the sexes. in the U.K., the numbers are even lower with only 7% of woman claiming to be a feminist yet 92% of woman who believe in equality of the sexes, because of the fact that we know what feminism has turned into.
    (if you want me to go into more of an explanation, want me t cite my sources or go into depth and bring up more issues because i've only scraped the surface please don't hesitate to ask me)

Modern feminism doesn't seen as though it's about equality. Seems more about giving women the upper hand.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshDarnIt)
    I don't want to live in a world with modern feminism. Please kill me
    😂 lol same

You know, the feminism we see all over the news where they act crazy and do the most is fake feminism. But i’m actually glad that they exist because i feel like it’s given us more focus on how to break gender inequality and more knowledge about patriarchy in the family. People love to say that society has become easily offended but really people are taking important **** seriously because not everything is a “joke”.

ReputationRep:
    This thread reminded me of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNo9XlKlTKc

ReputationRep:
    It's true, i like men to be actual men.

Here's the thing. One minute modern day feminists say yes lets be equal but the next they so greedy the want the man to pay for everything. I mean, me personally, i like a gentleman but i feel like that aspect is being taken away by mixed messages and absurd expectations.
    You are confusing feminists (wanting equal rights / opportunities for men and women) with traditionalist women who expect men to pay and for them to look pretty. The two are very different.

I find it sad that feminism is held in such low regard by some on here. I don't really understand why equality of all is such a negative thing. Do we really want to go back to times where women couldn't vote or earn their own money?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    You are confusing feminists (wanting equal rights / opportunities for men and women) with traditionalist women who expect men to pay and for them to look pretty. The two are very different.

I find it sad that feminism is held in such low regard by some on here. I don't really understand why equality of all is such a negative thing. Do we really want to go back to times where women couldn't vote or earn their own money?
    There is equality for all. How are women disadvantaged in todays society?
    Equality of outcome = very bad(what feminists campaign for)
    Equality of opportunity = very good(what we already have)
    What does feminism fight for today that isn't already taken seriously?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrankGary)
    There is equality for all. How are women disadvantaged in todays society?
    Equality of outcome = very bad(what feminists campaign for)
    Equality of opportunity = very good(what we already have)
    What does feminism fight for today that isn't already taken seriously?
    what's your definition of 'equality of opportunity'? certainly you don't mean it's the same for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    I mean, as a woman I am all for equal rights between men and women.. but I just feel like feminists nowadays just take it to a whole new level and want to be above men rather than equal. And if that's the case then it makes them just as bad as the oppressive men the original feminists from back in the days were trying to fight. When feminism started off, it was all about having a say, having the right to vote or work or drive etc. Now? You tell me.
    I agree, nowadays a lot of feminists will take any chance they are given to have a go at men. I'm all for women getting paid the same as men and getting the same opportunities, if you want to see modern day feminism at its finest, take a look at this youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HroNdaF47s

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.