Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I’m in year 12 & I am hating college! Absolutely hate it! People tell me ‘no one likes college’ but we’re all there because it’ll supposedly benefit us in the future right? I believe this is definitely true in some cases but I’m very passionate about music and a big believer that if you don’t enjoy something, then why are you doing it? I have a love for music, & at 16 nearly 17 why shouldn’t I chase my dreams? I just can’t help but think I only get one life?

I was thinking of leaving at the end of year 12. For the summer of 2019 I’ve found an amazing college (& a few others) in London. They have courses that I hope will help me get out there & develop as a musician. I was thinking in the mean time I can get a full time job & save up as much money as I possibly can or maybe look at doing a music course in my city before venturing off to somewhere bigger.

Of course, I understand that I must have a back up plan & I do enjoy media studies. I used to want to be a journalist. So I thought I could leave college, do all the things I want to do next year, push myself and give this shot of being an artist my all and if it doesn’t work out, eventually go on to do an apprenticeship in Journalism or even work freelance.

Is it worth me leaving college so I can put all of my heart into something I want more then anything in the world? Do I even need higher education to become a journalist?

Thanks for taking your time to read this

ReputationRep:
    In short, no.

It is very, very, very difficult to make it in music. That's not to say it mightn't happen; it might. But you shouldn't sabotage yourself before you get going. See out your course and then try.

ReputationRep:
    There's no reason why you can't finish what you're doing now and then commit to whatever crazy schemes you fancy.

(Original post by jxsiddon12)
    Do I even need higher education to become a journalist?
    Nowadays, most likely. https://www.journalism.co.uk/skills/...st/s7/a553933/

Site mentions degrees a heck of a lot, and you're going on about dropping out of college.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you don't need me to tell you how tough music is to get into as a career but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. Have you considered finishing college and then applying to university for something music related? There's a lot of music performance courses out there and they'll create great opportunities for you to develop your skills as well as network is over talented musicians which will create more opportunities going forward. Journalism I imagine is equally as tough (as most things are it seems to be honest). Just stay positive and dedicated to what ever you try. If you want to push on with music then be super proactive and practise a lot, also look at starting a youtube where you post your stuff as well social media accounts, anything to get feedback and create a buzz where possible. Similarly with Journalism, maybe find the area you want to write about and start attending event in the field and do articles on them for a blog or even try submitting them to various related places. Whatever you want to do, you gotta be super proactive (as previously mentioned) and have the mindset of, if i'm not working to develop myself for my chosen area, there's 100s more people who are trying to get your next opportunity.

I'm kinda speaking from experience here as i'm trying to get into music production/sound engineering and have had some success as well as a lot of failures.

Enjoy the highs and expect the lows but keep your chin up at all times!

ReputationRep:
    What college is this I’m In the same boat and love music and producing music. Singing etc
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jxsiddon12)
    I’m in year 12 & I am hating college! Absolutely hate it! People tell me ‘no one likes college’ but we’re all there because it’ll supposedly benefit us in the future right? I believe this is definitely true in some cases but I’m very passionate about music and a big believer that if you don’t enjoy something, then why are you doing it? I have a love for music, & at 16 nearly 17 why shouldn’t I chase my dreams? I just can’t help but think I only get one life?

I was thinking of leaving at the end of year 12. For the summer of 2019 I’ve found an amazing college (& a few others) in London. They have courses that I hope will help me get out there & develop as a musician. I was thinking in the mean time I can get a full time job & save up as much money as I possibly can or maybe look at doing a music course in my city before venturing off to somewhere bigger.

Of course, I understand that I must have a back up plan & I do enjoy media studies. I used to want to be a journalist. So I thought I could leave college, do all the things I want to do next year, push myself and give this shot of being an artist my all and if it doesn’t work out, eventually go on to do an apprenticeship in Journalism or even work freelance.

Is it worth me leaving college so I can put all of my heart into something I want more then anything in the world? Do I even need higher education to become a journalist?

Thanks for taking your time to read this
    Get your back up plan first... then go onto your other things
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foreverconfu)
    What college is this I’m In the same boat and love music and producing music. Singing etc
    http://www.accesscreative.ac.uk
    Looks soooooo good!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Moved to Performing arts and music

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.