Turn on thread page Beta

Sleep Issues watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So for the past 2 or so weeks now my sleep schedule has been absolute shambles. For pretty much everyday for the last couple of weeks, I'm waking up at around 2-4 in the morning and I'm unable to get back to sleep. I lie in bed exhausted from a physical standpoint, but my mind is wide awake. As soon as I attempt to get back sleep, my mind is constantly throwing random thoughts into my head from song lyrics to a video I may have seen like a month back. I've only ever had this issue once in the past and to get over that I would take Citalopram to induce the sleepiness, but those were leftovers from a past prescription and I'm all out.

I've probably been very brief in what I'm on about, but I'm currently having one of these episodes. I went to bed at ~10:30 PM, because I was beyond exhausted, I woke up at 2:30 and haven't been back to bed since (3:32).
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by mizan.rahman)
    So for the past 2 or so weeks now my sleep schedule has been absolute shambles. For pretty much everyday for the last couple of weeks, I'm waking up at around 2-4 in the morning and I'm unable to get back to sleep. I lie in bed exhausted from a physical standpoint, but my mind is wide awake. As soon as I attempt to get back sleep, my mind is constantly throwing random thoughts into my head from song lyrics to a video I may have seen like a month back. I've only ever had this issue once in the past and to get over that I would take Citalopram to induce the sleepiness, but those were leftovers from a past prescription and I'm all out.

I've probably been very brief in what I'm on about, but I'm currently having one of these episodes. I went to bed at ~10:30 PM, because I was beyond exhausted, I woke up at 2:30 and haven't been back to bed since (3:32).
    I have this a lot. What works for me is to listen to radio - particularly radio 4 (so speaking not music) something that’s enough to distract my mind from circling/random thoughts but not too interesting to stop me from nodding off. Things like the food programme, gardeners question time, short cuts etc work well for me (and the recent 3*1 hour soul music compilations were great). Audio dramas/books can be good too but it’s important to find something not too interesting!!

I also find moving from my bed and getting comfortable on the couch helps.

And worst case scenario - there’s a lot of research that shows that just lying still with your eyes shut and resting is nearly as good as sleeping. Not stressing yourself out about resting instead of sleeping can help you feel better.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.