Turn on thread page Beta

Loud gut in lectures watch

Lately I keep getting loud rumbling noises coming from my gut. I am actually petrified to go to lectures because it is so embarrassing. The lecture halls are designed to reverberate sound and a few times now I have been sitting there surrounded by silence as the lecturer talks, only for my gut to rumble and make noises repeatedly for minutes at a time. The worst yet was in a seminar the other day. I had a really bad stomach that day, and managed to get through the seminar without any bad noises. 2 minutes before the end, with the tutor giving a final briefing about homework, my gut made a very loud gurgling noise, almost like a fart. a couple of people turned around and it was super embarrassing.

I don't know why I keep getting this atm, I am a healthy weight and have no health conditions. I have been eating a fair amount of crap lately, the usual student food...perhaps that has something to do with it, or perhaps it is a stomach bug?

Whatever it is, I have a mock exam on Thursday and I am terrified at the prospect of sitting there in complete silence and letting out constant noises. I really don't want it to affect my studies but I fear that it will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Lately I keep getting loud rumbling noises coming from my gut. I am actually petrified to go to lectures because it is so embarrassing. The lecture halls are designed to reverberate sound and a few times now I have been sitting there surrounded by silence as the lecturer talks, only for my gut to rumble and make noises repeatedly for minutes at a time. The worst yet was in a seminar the other day. I had a really bad stomach that day, and managed to get through the seminar without any bad noises. 2 minutes before the end, with the tutor giving a final briefing about homework, my gut made a very loud gurgling noise, almost like a fart. a couple of people turned around and it was super embarrassing.

I don't know why I keep getting this atm, I am a healthy weight and have no health conditions. I have been eating a fair amount of crap lately, the usual student food...perhaps that has something to do with it, or perhaps it is a stomach bug?

Whatever it is, I have a mock exam on Thursday and I am terrified at the prospect of sitting there in complete silence and letting out constant noises. I really don't want it to affect my studies but I fear that it will.
    It isn't an illness as I get it as well. When I was still in school it happened a lot in classes, mainly Maths and Biology. I get how you feel but just drink water and hope it stops. Maybe try eating a little in advance of when it normally happens.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    What? Just eat.

Unfortunately I don't have any advice for you, but it may comfort you to know that you're not alone. Although it may seem like a ridiculous problem to those who don't suffer, it can actually really get you down as it can be super embarrassing.

Doctors have been no help for me at all, all they put it down to is stress. Even though I tell them that the fact it happens is my only stress trigger!!

Please let me know if you find anything out. It may also be worth speaking to someone at university, I have seen on other forums that some people have been allowed to sit in smaller rooms etc to decrease anxiety. I'm not sure if you could try this, but it could be worth a shot if it means you can sit your exam. Good luck!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.