Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Flatmate wants us to pay a rent fee to use her washing machine? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So, I don’t know how others do the whole flatting thing but this is my first year flatting and I found this a bit strange. My flat mate baught a $250 washing machine a few weeks before I moved in without telling anyone else. I thought this was fine and we were happy to pay towards it as a group, assuming we would all equally own the washing machine. Or we do not pay towards the washing machine and she does what she wants with it at the end. ( I have done this with a freezer, anyone can use it but I will keep or sell at end) . However she wants us to pay a “rental fee” to use the washing machine at the end of the week, even though we pay for the power and water it uses . Not to mention she is a great friend of mine so I did not expect things to be this particular.
    Opinions? I want to make sure I am not getting this situation wrong?

ReputationRep:
    So, I don’t know how others do the whole flatting thing but this is my first year flatting and I found this a bit strange. My flat mate baught a $250 washing machine a few weeks before I moved in without telling anyone else. I thought this was fine and we were happy to pay towards it as a group, assuming we would all equally own the washing machine. Or we do not pay towards the washing machine and she does what she wants with it at the end. ( I have done this with a freezer, anyone can use it but I will keep or sell at end) . However she wants us to pay a “rental fee” to use the washing machine at the end of the week, even though we pay for the power and water it uses . Not to mention she is a great friend of mine so I did not expect things to be this particular.
    Opinions? I want to make sure I am not getting this situation wrong?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Sounds reasonable. She payed for it so you should have to pay for the variable costs perhaps such as the washing powder. If she's making you pay just to use the machine regardless of the washing powder, that's a bit pricky, but whatever, that'll affect her relationship with you and the other flat mates.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have my own washing powder too.. yeah not sure I’d class her as the greatest friend after this

ReputationRep:
    Depends what she wants you to pay - if she wants a small contribution e.g. covering £100 between the rest of you then that's probably fair since you'll cause wear and tear and get the benefit of a washing machine. If she basically wants you all to cover your share of the cost without actually getting a washing machine then that isn't fair. You obviously do have the option to refuse to contribute and find another way to wash your clothes.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.