Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys, I have question
    I started learning programming and I plane get involved in hackathon someday. Have you some opinions on hackathon? Maybe someone was involved? I heard that people can win a lot of money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IzaChallenge)
    Hello guys, I have question
    I started learning programming and I plane get involved in hackathon someday. Have you some opinions on hackathon? Maybe someone was involved? I heard that people can win a lot of money
    I helped host one for my university. They can definitely be fun and you get some good experience. I wouldn't go into it just for the prize tho since you'll probably do **** and then be disappointed, but it's nice to test yourself. And if you win, even better.

I would look around at more local, smaller ones to begin with, just because the level is way different

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devify)
    I helped host one for my university. They can definitely be fun and you get some good experience. I wouldn't go into it just for the prize tho since you'll probably do **** and then be disappointed, but it's nice to test yourself. And if you win, even better.

I would look around at more local, smaller ones to begin with, just because the level is way different
    Thank you for response
    Can you tell me more about this hackathon? Who organized them and what the hackathon is all about, of course if it's not a problem.
    I'm ask because I looking the best options for me in Europe so maybe someone recommend me something else

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for response
    Can you tell me more about this hackathon? Who organized them and what the hackathon is all about, of course if it's not a problem.
    I'm ask because I looking the best options for me in Europe so maybe someone recommend me something else
    Like I said, it was one my university did. So it was the computer science society that organised it. We found a couple local companies who were interested in it to help support it.

I really don't get what you're aiming for. You just started learning programming and you're looking for best Hackathons to attend on EU? Those are way different level with people with minimum 10-20 years of experience attending. Just find one that's happening more locally and sign up. You'll find out what it is like competing in one, if you enjoy it and will get some experience. And then you can slowly build up to higher level ones.

You're talking like you just started to train on running and now looking if you can go to Olympics without attending any other running competitions.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I agree with Devify, you're getting far too ahead of yourself. If you've just started to learn programming then you need a lot more time and effort put in before you can start committing to any events, hackathons or otherwise.

Start small and work your way up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devify)

You're talking like you just started to train on running and now looking if you can go to Olympics without attending any other running competitions.
    This ^^^^^

Additionally the OP seems to be slightly confused about the term "Hackathon". Just some nomenclature around the term Hackathon: it is not a trademarked term, it is a term normally used for any design sprints over a short period of time, usually conducted as a one day event or several one day events. There might be prize money, there might not. There might not even be any coding at some hackathons too; they may be more focused on generating ideas and designing lo-fi prototypes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jestersnow)
    This ^^^^^

Additionally the OP seems to be slightly confused about the term "Hackathon". Just some nomenclature around the term Hackathon: it is not a trademarked term, it is a term normally used for any design sprints over a short period of time, usually conducted as a one day event or several one day events. There might be prize money, there might not. There might not even be any coding at some hackathons too; they may be more focused on generating ideas and designing lo-fi prototypes.

That's why I'm ask, I found a few Hackathon like that where we don't need a 10-20 years experience but we need great ideas, creativity and knowledge of programming can be an additional advantage for example Anita's Moonshot Codeathon.

ReputationRep:
    That's why I'm ask, I found a few Hackathon like that where we don't need a 10-20 years experience but we need great ideas, creativity and knowledge of programming can be an additional advantage for example Anita's Moonshot Codeathon.
    That's required for every single hackathon and honestly in programming in general. Because you are given a problem and need to solve it. There's never just one way to do it so you need to have ideas and creativity. Most Hackathons don't expect you to have a finished product at the end. But to create a mock-up or show off your idea and how you would fulfill it. Programming helps to get that mockup in place.

If you want purely programming, get some research into capture the flag security events

ReputationRep:
    thanks so I should focus on learning programming and later I may think about hackathons.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.