Turn on thread page Beta

So I have a question that I hope current FYs can help with. What are the logistics of finding a rental for FY1 that starts before our contract actually start? So say I'm looking to move in around June-July, but I won't have an income and salary until August. Providing we can pay deposit and rent for those months, are agencies ok to accept us when you're technically still a student? Are we required to show proof that we have a job offer? If so, where can we get this from - HR?
    Any info would be much appreciated!
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I have a question that I hope current FYs can help with. What are the logistics of finding a rental for FY1 that starts before our contract actually start? So say I'm looking to move in around June-July, but I won't have an income and salary until August. Providing we can pay deposit and rent for those months, are agencies ok to accept us when you're technically still a student? Are we required to show proof that we have a job offer? If so, where can we get this from - HR?
    Any info would be much appreciated!
    Thank you!
    There's no easy answer to this unfortunately and different letting agencies require different pieces of evidence. Getting any evidence out of your hospital is also really difficult and take weeks.
    One trick when you find out which hospital you'll be working at is to search for their Facebook page - usually called xxx hospital doctors mess or similar. Lots of junior docs have flats/houses they rent out to other junior docs so you can avoid letting agents altogether.
    Some docs new to an area ask if they can use someone's spare room for a few weeks in july/August to allow them more time to find something more long term. Have even known a few to find a sofa bed to sleep on for their first week and take it from there!

ReputationRep:
    I found housemates through spareroom.com. Our arrangement is informal so I had no trouble. Some people also move into hospital accommodation at first
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It can be a big problem. Even if you do get your hospital to provide some evidence regarding your income, they generally only provide it for the first 4 months, as after that you're on a different job with different pay etc.

For my FY1 year i had to use my parents as a guarantor, and for FY2 i had to pay the entire year's rent up front (as somehow even proving i had said money in a bank account wasn't enough!).

ReputationRep:
    I was sent an offer of employment letter from my Trust a good few months before we started, which included the salary (obviously only basic, but enough to make the letting agency happy). Scraping together enough money for the deposit and first rent's month was not easy though! Best of luck.

Thank you everyone - I guess it depends on specific letting agents/ areas too. It does seem tricky though if for personal reasons someone has to move a month or so before starting working (like me)!
    I guess the best thing is to contact the hospital early to see if they can provide some sort of evidence of employment/ income. I have an AFP offer so could in theory contact the hospital soon - I imagine we'll have to wait until SJT results next week for them to be able to confirm anything though?
    Theoretically that should be enough if we have enough funds for deposit & initial rent, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you everyone - I guess it depends on specific letting agents/ areas too.
    It's less about satisfying the letting agent and more about the landlord. They will consider your "offer" as a package - how much rent you are offering, when you want to move, any specific terms you want (e.g. break clauses), and the type of tenant you are likely to be (including whether or not you will/can pay the rent).

Okay so they might be momentarily nervous that you can't provide evidence of employment. Then they'll remember that you are a doctor so unlikely to (a) be unemployed and (b) disappear into the sunset with three months rent in arrears and having burned holes in all the carpets...

Your new trust should be able to provide something (e.g. an offer of employment) or you could ask your new foundation school to send confirmation that you will be employed within the area for the next two years. I don't think you'll find it hard to find a property, although some agents will advise landlords that they should ask for a guarantor (e.g. a parent who will pay if you don't) or X months' rent paid in advance.

DOI: Landlord who would love to let to a doctor after his last tenants ("self-employed businessmen") stopped paying rent, took >6 months to evict, trashed the apartment on their way out, and then disappeared without trace.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.