Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My son has an interview to join the sixth form - looking for any insights into what they ask/expect? Also does anyone know how many boys they interview for the 40 - 5o places available?

ReputationRep:
    As a previous student of Tiffin boys, for an ‘outsider’. I.e a person who didn’t go there from year 7-11. You would need pretty much straight A*s at GCSE.

Tiffin is an all boys school, I’d recommend going somewhere else to be honest. A lot of tiffinians fails at university because they get spoon fed by teachers and are not used to the sudden dramatic freedom they receive. I would highly recommend going to a college like esher or Richmond.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SherlocksMa)
    My son has an interview to join the sixth form - looking for any insights into what they ask/expect? Also does anyone know how many boys they interview for the 40 - 5o places available?
    I have applied for the sixth form also, but I have got no reply from them since I gave them my reference. Did you receive a letter or an email? When did you give them your reference? Did you get a reply immediately? I have so many questions!! Please answer them!

ReputationRep:
    When did you get response?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by adamantacademic)
    When did you get response?
    Unsure about the OP; but I also got an interview - notification sent by email about 2 weeks ago.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck ns_2 - we got notification about the same time as you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ns_2)
    Unsure about the OP; but I also got an interview - notification sent by email about 2 weeks ago.
    Congrats what are your grades looking like?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by adamantacademic)
    Congrats what are your grades looking like?
    Predicted are all A*/8/9 - A*(A^) in Further Mathematics and Business & Economics; 9 in English Lit/Lang, Computer Science, Mathematics and Chemistry.

Hoping for all 9s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ns_2)
    Predicted are all A*/8/9 - A*(A^) in Further Mathematics and Business & Economics; 9 in English Lit/Lang, Computer Science, Mathematics and Chemistry.

Hoping for all 9s.
    All the best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ns_2)
    My school only received the reference email on last Wednesday and we sent it on Friday. How come you guys got your reference in so early?

ReputationRep:
    Tiffin sent an email a few weeks ago saying there were delays as they'd had over 300 applicants.

ReputationRep:
    Tiffin sent an email a few weeks ago saying there were delays as they'd had over 300 applicants.
    Oh so there is still a hope that I haven't been rejected! I remember that email! Phew!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Arthur 284)
    A lot of tiffinians fails at university because they get spoon fed by teachers and are not used to the sudden dramatic freedom they receive.
    Where did you get this from? Or is this just anecdotal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BasicMistake)
    Where did you get this from? Or is this just anecdotal?
    I went to the school. So I made friends and kept in touch with almost everyone there. That is what happend. Several people had either dropped out or retook a year.

ReputationRep:
    I went to the school. So I made friends and kept in touch with almost everyone there. That is what happend. Several people had either dropped out or retook a year.
    Dropped out of Tiffin or dropped out of uni?

ReputationRep:
    Dropped out of Tiffin or dropped out of uni?
    University

ReputationRep:
    University
    I'm curious because aren't you in the process of university applications at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    I'm curious because aren't you in the process of university applications at the moment?
    Yes. I didn’t go straight to university, I worked and am now returning. I’m just saying what happened to those that did. Not all ofcourse, but quite a significant number. Tiffin prides itself with having over 80 percent of its students at Russell group universities. They don’t mention what happens to them at those universities

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I didn’t go straight to university, I worked and am now returning. I’m just saying what happened to those that did. Not all ofcourse, but quite a significant number. Tiffin prides itself with having over 80 percent of its students at Russell group universities. They don’t mention what happens to them at those universities
    True...

ReputationRep:
    You might as well say the same about every grammar school and private school.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Do you have any savings?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.